Southern Loco sounds compared to that of LMS and LNER Locos

Tallpaul69

Apart from the Spamcan variations and the rebuilds thereof, was the sound of 2 cylinder ex Southern locos markedly different to similar ex LMS and LNER locos?

My reason for asking is I am thinking of fitting Hornby Black 5 TTS decoders to N15 and S15 locos and LNER J36 TTS decoders to Q1 and class 700 locos. If the sound were similar were the whistles markedly different?

Please do not use this thread to re run the TTS decoders are not good because of lack of syncronisation between the chuffs and the wheel revs discussion!

I have experience of a number of identical locos one fitted with TTS and one fitted with "full price" decoders and am happy with the TTS performance. 

Many thanks

Paul

• Agree 1

Why single out TTS?   I don't know any sound systems with an on board chuff generator which is what you need for realistic chuffs.  I keep telling my unemployed computer graduate son to develop one but he can't be *******.

The S 15 and N 15 were 2 cylinder 4-6-0s with outside Walschearts valve gear.     The Black 5  had similar valve gear so in the absence of anything bespoke a black 5 should be a reasonable compromise.   The "Whistle" is completely wrong, Black 5s had a Stanier Hooter quite different to SR whistle.   In fact Black 5s caused consternation initally when used at Poole on the SR being mistaken for ships hooters instead of trains.  j Both S15 and N15 were originally R.W Urie designs for the LSWR, derived from his H15 which had 6ft  driving wheels and were probably the first  "Modern" outside vale gear 2 cyl  l4-6-0s in the UK. 

J36 and 700 were both slide valve locos with Stephensons link motion so they should be similar, no idea about whistles but the Q1 was a distinct oddity with Walschaerts  valve gear, Piston Valves and a multiple jet blastpipe.   Very much a one off, Black 5 might be a better match than a J36.

Edited by DavidCBroad
  • Informative/Useful 1

Following my investigations of SR locos v LM/BR locos, I found some useful information on South West Digital's web site, although this mainly suggests which locos within each of the four Grouping companies and BR loco fleets can be replicated by the same sound files.

So for instance, it backs up my decision to use the newly introduced Hornby TTS Hall decoder in Counties, Granges and  28xx class locos!

Once I have got by head round the relevant SR/LMR/BR data, I will post a distillation of it here.

Aagh!!

It has just started tipping it down here in south Bedfordshire for the second time today, so it looks like I shall not be venturing down the garden to my Model Room again today.

Best regards

Paul  

Hi there,

I promised in my last post  that I would post a distillation of the information from the South West Digital site that relates to decoders for Great Western/Western Region locos.

So here goes:-

South West Digital have divided the GWR/WR steam locos into four groups. each of which it has assigned a particular decoder to.

Group 1 comprises all panier (and saddle) tanks plus the Dean Goods.

Group 2 comprises the small prairies and 2-8-0/2-8-2 tanks plus 0-6-2 tanks, 15xx Panniers and the 38xx 4-4-0 tender locos (Counties)

Group 3 comprises Counties, Halls Granges, Manors, Dukedogs, Cities, all 2-8-0 tender locos, all 2-6-0 locos, 2251 0-6-0 tender locos, and all varieties of Large Prairies.

Group 4 comprises Kings, Castles and Stars.

I think that I will be using these Groups and fitting full price decoders to my models in Groups 1 and 2 , Hornby Hall TTS to my locos in Group 3, and I have already have Hornby TTS decoders in my Kings and Castles.

This may not work for locos with non 8 pin sockets, but there are a number of Hornby and Bachmann locos that are 8 pin. So the choice may be between 8/21 pin adapters, which there may not be room for in some locos; hard wiring 8 pin decoders, full price 21 pin decoders, or non sound decoders.

fitting non sound decoders in some cases will help to offset the full price decoders. I may not be able to make decisions on non sound decoders until I have completed my loco allocations to trains and see if there are any that will be used on perhaps one run in a day's timetable where the lack of sound will not be too noticeable!

I don't have locos in all the types detailed above as locos that were withdrawn before 1960 are not relevant to my layout. So the Dean Goods, saddle tanks, Cities (except Truro), Dukedogs, RODS (in the 2-8-0 category), 38xx Counties and Stars are not for me!  

In future posts I will detail the site's similar details for SR, LMR, ER, and BR locos plus BR Diesels and Units. It will probably take three more posts to cover these areas without blowing the readers minds with too much detail in one posting.

The sites listings in some areas are not as comprehensive as their GWR details above, but they say they will be expanding the lists as they develop sound files for more Locos and Units.

I hope this information is of use to others?

Best regards

Paul  

Hi Folks,

This afternoon I am going to take a look at Southwest Digitals analysis of SR loco decoders into which I am adding my own thoughts. I will make clear which are my own inputs!

Southwest Digital's analysis of SR loco decoders is not as tidy as their GWR version as they have 6 groups.

So for ease of comparison with their GWR analysis I am reversing the order of the analysis on their web site, and reducing the groups to 4 in number plus an additional group for the modified draughting locos:-

So what I am calling SR Group 1 comprises Terriers, P class and  other small tanks to which I am adding small 0-6-0 tender locos such as the C Class

In SR Group ,2 there are 0-6-2s such as the E4s, 0-4-4s such as the M7, Adams 4-4-2 radials, the T9s, and the 700 0-6-0s.  I would also add the small 4-4-0s (Ds, Es, etc.)

In SR Group 3 there are the various 2-6-0s such as the Us and U1s, the 4-6-0s such as the N15s, H15s and S15s. I would add the large Tanks such as the H16s, Ws, and Zs plus the original Schools

In Group 4 there are the West Country, Battle of Britain and Merchant Navy classes, both as built and rebuilt.

I feel an additional class, class 5 is needed for the Le Maitre/ multijet fitted N15s, Lord Nelsons, Qs, Q1s and Schools.  

Now I am not an expert in SR locos and their sounds, so If anyone thinks I have got it wrong, please say!

Cheers for now,

Paul

• Like 1