Tenshodo (Pacific Fast Mail) GP35 Restoration

Barclay

On 11/07/2021 at 16:28, Barclay said:

The loco. could really use some EMD makers' plates, but Microscale put those on a separate sheet (they aren't fools are they?) so they will have to wait. Also those things that look like coloured bar codes will have to be made somehow. Are they some sort of automated engine identification system? I also need very fine chain across the end handrails but don't have any at present.

Well that's my first US loco. finished, but there's a fair amount more conversion fodder in the loft. However what I really need to do now is build a layout !

The bar code is indeed a type of car identifier called KarTrak ACI (Automatic Car Identification) that was abandoned by 1977, but of course hung around for much longer.

Press on detailing your other locos, though many a shortline make do with one one loco.

I miss modelling USA trains, prices for the items and shipping increased really quickly, personal circumstances changed and I lost touch.

• Friendly/supportive 1

Hi @multivacThanks for the info - I had heard of the ACI in terms of freight cars, and that it was abandoned because of dirt obscuring the marks I believe? I'll  have to make some with some decal sheet. I now have fine chain on the ends but the photo's remind me that I forgot to install the last bit of handrail by the cab on the left hand side.

This one turned out not to be too cheap, largely because of import costs, but most of my other US loco projects are from the bargain basement. I prefer it that way - a beautiful expensive RTR model leaves me cold because there's little I can do to improve it, and the value of the model puts you off doing anything. If I don't have input into a model it won't hold my interest.

Kind Regards

Edited by Barclay