Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Three Pots Yard

At the moment,the only track plan that exists is inside my head.When everything is sited to suit,I will get one drawn up.Last time I thought it was all sorted out, I ended up buying 2 more points,because :

1)I'd miscounted the number of left and right ones,

2) A curved point gave me a bit more room at the bridge end,and a better radius.

So now I have a dodgy 6' radius and a catch point looking for a home.

Never mind,tomorrow is another day!

atb

Phil

• Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

Good evening all,I'm looking to fit a point motor to my hand built point.I'd use a solenoid one,but I want to prolong the life of the tie bars,and solenoid motors are,shall we say,rather positive in their action.I would prefer to keep all accessories analogue if at all possible,I know how that works and can wire it all up.

Over to you for suggestions,please.

Thanks

Phil

• RMweb Premium

Servo? Might not necessarily be cheaper for one because you'll need something to control the servo's speed, travel limits and direction but a couple or more servos will probably be cheaper.

Edited by Ray H

• 2 weeks later...

Moving on slowly,here we are up to press.This will be the final track plan.The two centre sidings will have to be shortened,and the one branching off under the van will be lengthened,and will be the siding for the coaling area for the locos,and also for the boiler house.

I'm going to pinch Andy's idea for hiding the fiddle yard,such as it is,using the works and a large tree or two to hide the entrance/exit.Nearly all the rolling stock is visible,as is the Main line loco.There are some smaller Yard shunters still in their boxes,as the wiring is yet to be finished,but a train has run from one end to the other successfully.I haven't been able to get a cobalt point motor yet,supplies seem to be low.Covid again no doubt.

The track plan is NOT to scale by any means,and is just to give a rough idea as to what goes where.

What do you think?

Cheers

Phil

20210216_143234.jpg.3c62b6742d2d956a5cfa2839c506d9b6.jpg

20210216_141255.jpg.a21b0b2a92faa80a9bcd3da6d0bad303.jpg20210216_141344.jpg.33ddff8424fd25b99337ef3014a3e09a.jpg

• Like 3

Not as such.The Gronk runs well over the" Main line",although I don't seem to have enough hands to work the controller and hold my phone and film.However the piece under the bridge holds a loco and one wagon,so I think it will keep me occupied.Points in the yard are peco set track ,so all the shunters will go round ok.Control is DCC with sound,and the shed is lined and insulated,so shouldn't have complaints from the neighbors.

Cheers

Phil

• Like 2

Cheers Andy,I sometimes wish I'd bought a bigger shed(say 10 x8 ),rather than 8 x 8 ,but there's only so much money to spare( i'm up to £1500+ and there's no electric up there yet,I have to use an extension reel to do anything ) and I didn't want to overpower what's left of the garden.

Cheers

Phil

• Friendly/supportive 2

Thanks for the video ,Jim,I saw this on another thread and was quite impressed.

As it stands,The "main line" minimum curve is about 5',and the yard uses Peco setrack points which are 1028mm or 40.4" radius,and I'm confident that all my 4 wheel shunters will get round them,and also the Hudswell Clark 060 should be ok as well.

Standing instructions in the WTT say that "No BR locos to proceed beyond a point designated as a boundary."

This should keep all LWB locos out of the yard and any unpleasantness following a derailment! 

atb

Phil

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

Question ,Gentlepersons;

Have any of you got any dimensions for GWR signals, particularly the spectacle plate? Drawings on t'interweb are like rocking horse poo, few and far between. and HMRS don't have any copies for sale at the moment.(due to covid)

TIA

Cheers

Phil

• 1 year later...

Apologies for the lack of posts here,all rather quiet at the moment.However I would like to wish one and all a merry Christmas and a productive New Year.

Best wishes

Phil

• Like 1