GW on the 1950s GC

Helmdon

Morning, sure someone will know the answer... I’m modelling roughly Helmdon to Woodford Halse on the London Extension (deleting Culworth). I’m pretty happy with what GW locos worked over from Banbury to Leicester etc, but did any work south of Culworth Junction? Ie coming onto the extension metals (or leaving them) via the Princes Risborough spur?

Not turning up much at the moment, although I’d be fine if I wanted LNER locos on the GW as I’ve found loads of those!

Edited by Helmdon

To clarify I don’t mean just staying in the Aylesbury area so much as leaving the GW/GC Joint line at Princes Risborough to then go north to Woodford etc? 

guessing it wouldn’t have been the preferred option as a lot of unnecessary inter-regional running, but did it happen?

• RMweb Gold

I suspect nothing north of Aylesbury from the Risborough line.  However in the early 1960s 2251 and 28XX were route cleared between Ashendon Jcn and Woodford Halse via Grendon Underwood but I don't know how far back that dated.  

I tend to think that relates to something unusual such as engineering trains so they had a way out if they were 'trapped' the wrong side of the junction at Ashendon Jcn.  I did wonder if it might be connected with breakdown crane coverage but oddly  (Note *) checking the 1960 details the Old Oak Common crane was not shown as able to be called on for assistance on any part of the southern end of the GC line although the Neasden and Woodford Halse cranes were listed to assist on various parts of the WR south of Banbury but the Woodford crane only covered asfar south as Aynho Park.

I said 'oddly because the Old Oak Crane was available to assist on the other northern main lines - i.e. the lines out of St Pancras (to Luton), Euston (to Bletchley,  and, Kings Cross (to Hitchin)

• Like 1