RMweb

Class 58 Grey Cab Doors- Best Black Paint?

Mark201

Hi, I have recently acquired a Heljan Class 58 in Railfreight Coal sector livery. Unfortunately it has the grey doors.

I have decided that I can't live with the grey doors and want to paint them black (there's a song title in there somewhere)! Does anyone have any advice on the paint I should use? I don't think they are gloss, are they matt? I really have no idea and would value anybody's opinion on the best black paint to use and by which manufacturer. Many thanks. 

Mark

2 hours ago, Mark201 said:

I don't think they are gloss, are they matt?

You're right, they're not gloss, but they're not quite matt either - as such, Satin Black should be just fine.  If it were any other more specific shade then I'd be saying opt for either Precision Paints or Railmatch, depending on whether you prefer enamel or acrylic, but as it's a pretty standard black then to be fair I'd say you'll likely get away with virtually any satin black, so you might have something suitable on the shelf already, such as Revell or Humbrol etc. 

I hope that helps...

Best

Al

Edited by YesTor

Another vote for Humbrol 85 Black Satin for the cab doors.

I also used it for the large grille and equipment doors. which Heljan had painted grey in error (after which I re-numbered and named it).

Edited by cravensdmufan
To include link to video
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

I'd use the satin paints suggested.

I did mine using a rattle can..  Halford matt black as its my favourite black and my hand painting is rubbish. While it was out the underframe got sprayed too as a base for weathering.

Sprayed Railmatch satin varnish is a very good match for Heljans varnish so you could use glass and spray that if you prefer.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, cravensdmufan said:

Another vote for Humbrol 85 Black Satin for the cab doors.

I also used it for the large grille and equipment doors. which Heljan had painted grey in error (after which I re-numbered and named it).

Executive Dark Grey is the standard colour for bodyside grills and roof on Railfreight Triple-Grey livery.  Hornby incorrectly paint the bodyside grills black on their Class 60s...

Best

Al

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1