Japanese Replacement Pantographs in N

Adam1701D

• RMweb Gold

I've purchased a couple of pairs of Greenmax and Tomix and test fitted one of each to a Dapol 86 and Farish 90 to see how they look. The pans are plastic and not sprung, so can be placed at any height - ideal for the Dapol catenary and these are much closer in appearance to the metal ones fitted to the out of the box models.

They are not an exact match for the Brecknall-Willis high-speed pan but in N are probably as close as we are going to get. perhaps an etched replacement head would improve things further...

Fitting was a doddle - I cut off the pins and secured in place with Evo-Stik Hard Plastic Adhesive - a sticky CA-glue (also great for fitting detail parts, etc).

I purchased these from N Train (Bob Davis of this parish) - Bob tells me he can't get hold of the Tomix ones but the Greenmax ones are available.

Here's a few pics...

post-7123-127481735272_thumb.jpg

Dapol 86213 with Tomix Pan - Part ref: 0241

post-7123-127481744489.jpg

post-7123-127481747884.jpg

Greenmax Pan on Farish Intercity Class 90 - part ref: PT71A

post-7123-127481754457.jpg

86 (Tomix) and 90 (Greenmax) side by side

Tomix pantographs can be obtained from Japan Model Railways in Kamen Dortmund. Heiko attends several shows in the UK every year including Warley.

I have purchased lots of Japanese N gauge from him over the years. Excellent service.

As there is a connection between Dapol and Tomix perhaps they could source them as well. I was surprised they did not use one on their 86.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived