GW Branch Line (III) - a Portable Layout Puzzle

• RMweb Premium

A Postscript

I find it interesting reading "what happened next" updates on ideas discussed in this Forum.  Noting the three episodes of my planning saga would add up to one of the longest non-Minories threads in the Forum if put together, I'd like to share an update on both progress and necessary changes: 

[full disclosure - some of these photos have already appeared elsewhere on RMweb]

First - the progress:

I'd prepared some baseboards suitable for the original 8' x 4' continuous run layout ideas.  These were easily remodelled for the revised final design: the 'crawl under' would be at bottom left.

image3.jpeg.e8d87d39e54092b6d9e8fe03ce109d7c.jpeg

This is not the bedroom location - I was able to clear enough space in the study for a quick 'trial fitting.'  The previous 'colour scheme' had been light green on top and white underneath with cream sides.  I found a large tin of a good quality paint in an unloved colour (mango green) being sold off cheaply, so repainted them all before it got too cold to work in the outhouse / workshop:

image2.jpeg.01fba25b157a9af447bb074f86b09192.jpeg

As the tops are 12mm ply, I've found I don't need cross-bracing (I've had them for 20+ years).  I also bought some DCC Concepts Alignment Dowels for the next stage, but this was as far as I got last year.

I couldn't do any more until essential Covid-delayed roof repairs above the layout space were done.  This happened in October, after which the bedroom was redecorated (during half-term).  In more goods news for layout building a light blue sky colour was chosen for the walls: I had no input - honest!

I'm not a great decorator, so I used my half-term to build a kit for an HO-scale Diorama I'd started in 2019:

image1.jpeg.dcf306bc71bdad085c0a578bfc751ade.jpeg

Second - A bonus idea

The US influence behind all my layout ideas is obvious.  With progress on my GW Branch Line paused for the winter, I decided to explore my parallel US interest by looking into a long-term idea for a US-based layout too.  This has rather taken off, and the thought struck me that the genius of @Harlequin's idea for a separate trestle / i-beam subframe (described on page 5 of this thread) is that I could build more than one portable modular layout for the sub-frame.  The advantage is the modules don't have to be the same size:

This flexibility wasn't planned, but is a benefit worth sharing, for which I take no credit myself.

Some American outline rolling stock I have needs a minimum 24" radius.  This rules out a continuous run layout in the space I have (I did try of course), but the ideas discussed in this thread are still valid, and an "American Branch Line-U-Cassette" arrangement could work well, applying the same lessons learned here.

With this bonus idea in mind I built a low-relief industry over Christmas, which turned out quite nicely.  It may not look Great Western, but if you look closely the roll-shutters are painted in spare GW Coach Chocolate.

image0.jpeg.a0a9a59500b232bd6d34b0f9e576e6fc.jpeg

Third - 2021

Long-term increased home working put paid to the original plans last summer, and the extended lockdown has now brought about further changes, as we're planning to swap some of the bedrooms around.  It will make life a bit easier, and help with other welcome changes now we're spending so much time at home.

It does mean I'm having to look around again for a layout space: the room that becomes available is a different shape and requires access to the airing cupboard and a fitted wardrobe on the far wall of the room.  Of course, it's a tiny price to pay in the context of the pandemic, and it will help the family.  A new space for a layout is part of the conversation.

Finally* - next steps

I have a number of building kits waiting their turn, and I'm already busy working on a 2021 Cakebox diorama, trying my hand at scratchbuilding for the first time (which I'm really enjoying - far more than I expected to):

image4.jpeg.659be3d2b409f31151a014ba659ae22b.jpeg

I also have other projects to keep me busy.  But the aim remains a layout with trains running on it.  I don't expect I'll start another planning thread (relief all round :rolleyes:).  But this is for the best of reasons - my ideas file is already full of great concepts and good advice, and I have more than enough to help me sort something out.  So I'm sure this isn't the end of the story...

Take care and stay safe, Keith.

(* I know this is the most overused word in my planning, for which I can only apologise again)

Edited by Keith Addenbrooke
Reinstating photos
  • Like 4
  • Friendly/supportive 2

1 hour ago, Keith Addenbrooke said:

With this bonus idea in mind I built a low-relief industry over Christmas, which turned out quite nicely.  It may not look Great Western, but if you look closely the roll-shutters are painted in spare GW Coach Chocolate ;).

image0.jpeg.3c345c86779ceb31c089623eefe5c331.jpeg

The good old Walthers Commissary building. I've built two of those. Well, the same one twice. First time it fell apart because I used the wrong glue.

• Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 4