E.C.M.L. Pullman formations circ 1955

• RMweb Premium

E.C.M.L. Pullman Formations Circ 1955

Good morning Gents

I suspect this question has been asked before, however I am trying to identify the type of Pullman coaches used within the Tyne Tees Pullman around 1955 eg, 1st Parlour/Kitchen or 3rd Parlour/ Kitchen etc. I have information from the "Coupe News" Web site, but I am not sure if when it states car "Nilar" K, is that a 1st Kitchen or is it a type "K" coach? My Choice of formation is as follows:- No162 3rd Brake, Car "Nilar" (K),"Lucille" (P)32 (K). "Phyllis"(K), "Agatha" (P),167(K), 62,(B). I am hoping to identify these coaches to enable me to accquire the correct version fron the Hornby range.

Any help with this would be very much appreciated

Regards

Bob Crawford

Derby

E.C.M.L. Pullman Formations Circ 1955

Good morning Gents

I suspect this question has been asked before, however I am trying to identify the type of Pullman coaches used within the Tyne Tees Pullman around 1955 eg, 1st Parlour/Kitchen or 3rd Parlour/ Kitchen etc. I have information from the "Coupe News" Web site, but I am not sure if when it states car "Nilar" K, is that a 1st Kitchen or is it a type "K" coach? My Choice of formation is as follows:- No162 3rd Brake, Car "Nilar" (K),"Lucille" (P)32 (K). "Phyllis"(K), "Agatha" (P),167(K), 62,(B). I am hoping to identify these coaches to enable me to accquire the correct version fron the Hornby range.

Any help with this would be very much appreciated

Regards

Bob Crawford

Derby

Hi Bob,

Your quoted source is one of the best.

Basically, you are mixing up two different items. The first is the K Type Cars, which were built in 1928/29. They were the first all-steel vehicles as opposed to the wooden bodied vehicles built previously.

Then comes the description of individual cars making up formations. Thse are denoted as follows:

a. Parlour/Bke - 3rd class vehicle

b. Parlour - 1st or 3rd class

c. Parlour/Kitchen (K) - 1st or 3rd class

The Class of car was denoted by either a name (1st Class) or a number (3rd Class).

Unfortunately, at present, the range of Pullman Cars offered by Hornby are more orientated to those vehicles operating on the Southern than on the Eastern. It is to be hoped that this will be corrected in the future.

Similarly, the majority of Pullman Cars on the ECML in the 1950s did not have white roofs.

Stuart

The majority of cars operating on the ECML in the 1950s were K Type cars. The formations of the 3 Pullman Trains, Tees-Tyne, Yorkshire and Queen of Scots comprised a variety of the 3 above mentioned types.

Stuart

• RMweb Premium

Hi Bob,

Your quoted source is one of the best.

Basically, you are mixing up two different items. The first is the K Type Cars, which were built in 1928/29. They were the first all-steel vehicles as opposed to the wooden bodied vehicles built previously.

Then comes the description of individual cars making up formations. Thse are denoted as follows:

a. Parlour/Bke - 3rd class vehicle

b. Parlour - 1st or 3rd class

c. Parlour/Kitchen (K) - 1st or 3rd class

The Class of car was denoted by either a name (1st Class) or a number (3rd Class).

Unfortunately, at present, the range of Pullman Cars offered by Hornby are more orientated to those vehicles operating on the Southern than on the Eastern. It is to be hoped that this will be corrected in the future.

Similarly, the majority of Pullman Cars on the ECML in the 1950s did not have white roofs.

Stuart

The majority of cars operating on the ECML in the 1950s were K Type cars. The formations of the 3 Pullman Trains, Tees-Tyne, Yorkshire and Queen of Scots comprised a variety of the 3 above mentioned types.

Stuart

Thanks for the Information Stuart, typical that the roofs of the ECML stock were grey, as I have just obtained 3 coaches with white roofs!

However you ve given me some good pointers so many thanks

Bob.C

Derby

Archived