Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Running Locos

Searched on here and google but not found a definative answer,so i `m in broadcast mode now.

Because i work shifts and sometime it can be 2/3weeks before a run my locos ,does this have any effect on said loco, should i be running them 2/3 times a week ,have had issues sometimes with stutters etc i clean my track with the isopropol wipes and i use the rough side of hardboard every so often.

cheers G

Edited by graphite33

You will no doubt get lots of differing opinions on this topic but, for what it's worth.

My Dad runs his layout virtually every day and almost never has to clean either his track or wheels so maintain good running (and he is a stickler for good running, believe me!)

His son, meanwhile (ie me!) is nowhere near being able to run each day and I usually need to clean track before a run. Locos vary. Some never need to seem cleaning; some do one out and back and need attention.

• RMweb Gold

I run most days and am sure that regular use improves running, but am at a loss to explain why.  I think one reason is that you are able to spot any minor deterioration in performance, loco, track, or wiring, and attend to it straight away, but this can only be a small part of whatever the real reason is.  My track is almost never cleaned, any running issue being dealt with by rubbing graphite on to it; this is something else that works and I have no idea why.  My Bachmann locos very rarely need attention, but Hornbys' appreciate being at least checked over once every few weeks; I find the wheelbacks and pickups need cleaning and the pickups go out of shape and need retweaking.  Don't have any by other makers so can't comment on them.

I paid a very great deal of attention to track laying, direct to the baseboard with no underlay, ensure the baseboard and the underside of the track is clean before you put it down.  Lay the track without glueing and lightly pin it, then test run throroughly, all locos and stock hauling and propelling.  Then pva glue it into position and ballast it; use pins to hold it while the glue dries but don't drive them home hard; once the head is down to sleeper surface level leave them alone.  Ensure that all pieces join smoothly and are level; the resultant good running is worth the effort.

Eliminate any plastic wheels and replace with all-metal sets; your running will be improved and plastic spreads crud everywhere.  So does traction tyre rubber; get rid of it and replace with proper wheels.  I have improved the (DC) running of some Bachmann locos by removing the DCC chip board and hard wiring directly from the pickups to the motor terminals.  If you use tension locks, check that all the bars are the same height above the railhead and standardise on one make of coupling; it doesn't matter which, so long as you can establish a standard profile across the layout.  Wheels can be standardised as well as far as possible, so you can set the layout up for a particular flange profile.  I have standardised on Bachmann NEM couplings and wheels because I have more Bachmann stuff than any other make, not because of brand loyalty, though I am happy with my Bachmann stuff, but simply because Bachmann make more of the prototypes I want than anyone else.

If you can, store and run the layout in a heated and ventilated area of your home, part of the living area of it.  If you are going to use a loft, convert it to professional standards of ventilation and insulation, or the layout will tear itself apart with expansion and contraction.  Garages and sheds also need to be insulated and ventilated to high standards for the same reason.  A dust free environment will pay dividends.

I don't run my layout that often, but nonetheless think it is a good idea to do so. It keeps locos turning over and point motors and blades used to moving, no doubt any atmospheric dampness in motors is dispelled by a bit of action.

If you are in the loft for the layout, and it does suffer from extremes of hot and cold, how feasible is it to keep your locos in the habited part of the house, in winter anyway? This would help to some extent.

I'd agree with the Johnster about the importance of careful tracklaying - otherwise its a problem for ever - and also using metal wheels on stock. I do have traction tyres on a small minority of locos and just live with it, although it would be preferable to be without.

I'd never thought about using wipes for track cleaning - a good idea - but rather have used Slaters fluid on a small rag. Some people claim any chemical can damage the rail head, but after seventeen years occasional on my layout I can't see this at all.

John.

Apologies all if I am introducing subject creep into this topic, but something said by The Johnster sent me to do a survey of my rolling stock, the bit about eliminating plastic wheels.

In my vast collection of wagons, I have 70 with plastic wheels.  Well I don't run them a lot, preferring to run carriages.  Of my 50 or so carriages, I have 12 with plastic wheels, mostly Hornby and a few Lima's, probably about £80 to rewheel them.   I'm not even going to consider the prohibitive cost of rewheeling my wagons.

Oh yes, OO gauge, running 5 to 6 carriage trains.

What I'd like to know is......  How significant an improvement would it make to cleanliness and free running, to replace the plastic wheels?

If it's 'slight' then I'll probably not bother and save the money.  But if it's 'significant' then I'll consider it.

Thanks

8 minutes ago, AyJay said:

How significant an improvement would it make to cleanliness and free running, to replace the plastic wheels?

If it's 'slight' then I'll probably not bother and save the money.  But if it's 'significant' then I'll consider it.

Significant. :yes:  :good:

• RMweb Gold

Significant, but not 'quantum'.  Doing it all at once for a large number of vehicles will be costly, but the improvement in running and the lessening of the need to clean your track, loco wheels, and pickups is well worth it IMHO.  I'm glad it was a bullet I bit, but I spread the cost over a few weeks.  Your stock will roll better, your locos will be able to haul longer trains and start easier and smoother.  If you think you have to spend too much time cleaning track and locos, it is definitely something you should consider.  It will not magically solve all your problems, but it will definitely improve the situation!  An added bonus, if you like this, is the 'enhanced audio response' on rail joints...

• Agree 1