Another wiring question

On my own n gauge layout I have a number of 12v street lights which are wired through a switch and into an Eterna 11.6v DC 105A transformer. I also have some cars with fitted 12v head and tail lights which I have

also wired up through the same street light switch and into the Eterna transformer. However, when the light switch is OFF, the street lights are OFF, but the car lights remain ON (dim). When the light switch is ON

the street lights are ON and the Car light are ON (brightly). Is there a way to make the Car lights go OFF completely when the light switch is in the OFF position. Thanks Kevin.

Sounds weird. You may have discovered the secret of the perpetual motion machine, or free electricity.

Off should be off, unless there is some sort of leakage through the switch.

Do the streetlights use miniature bulbs or LEDs?

Do the cars use miniature bulbs or LEDs?

Sometimes it can take a while for the charge to dissipte after turning off and this would show up on items using LEDs most as they consume so little power.

If you leave it for a while to the car lights eventually go out?

Are you sure that the car lights aren't reflecting the room lighting?

Is the on-off switch only on the output side of the transformer?

What happens if you unplug the transformer from the mains after switching off? Do the car lights still stay on indefinitely?

The street lights have miniature bulbs and the cars have LEDs. When you turn the switch OFF, the car light go off completely for a moment, then come back on dim.

The car lights only go off completely when the transformer is unplugged. I have just paired up two cars together and the lights go out completely when the switch is OFF,

however the car lights are only dim when the switch is ON. Thanks for your help so far. Kevin.

What was the transformer originally used for, domestic low voltage lighting? Is the on/off switch part of the transformer, or is it one that you have fitted yourself to the lead coming out of the transformer?

Have you fitted resistors in the feeds to the car LEDs?

EDIT: To answer tour original question:

a) either unplug the transformer, or

b} fit an on off switch between the lead from the transformer and wiring to your streetlights and car lights.

My preverence would be a) as that way you know there is no power to teh transformer.

Archived