Lima bash!

33C

I love outside frames! And almost a drop on fit....but, you do have to shave the brush holders down to minimum to get the Airfix Truro firebox to fit over the motor and slice off the springs on the 09 chassis for the framework. A quick way to get an "Aberdare".

20201013_024108.jpg

Edited by 33C
added detail
  • Like 14
  • Craftsmanship/clever 5

I suppose this should go in this thread as well, Lima diesel shunter to LNER Y10.  and Ratio Johnson 2-4-0 with Lima HO 4F tender drive. Lima 0-4-0 tank engine to S.R/B.R. USA Dock shunter-ish!

20200809_153034.jpg

20200822_154723.jpg

20200822_154743.jpg

20200818_042038.jpg

20200818_042023.jpg

20200818_042052.jpg

20201013_023841.jpg

Edited by 33C
added detail
  • Like 11

In the long distant past I made the Johnson 2-4-0. It was poor in every respect as a loco to be run on a layout. It was a poor puller, Could barely pull itself round the track let alone any coaches. It was far too fragile as well. It was ok as a static model. I still have the motor somewhere. The frames I only ditched a couple of months ago. Not a clue what happened to the rest.

This is a great way of making it work

This is the second Ratio kit i've  motorised this way. The HO 4F tender drive is tailor-made for this type of conversion (and others). This one pictured (since sold) used the original wheels with a piano wire pick-up rubbing on one side, wire from a Tri-ang Nellie pick-up plate to brass bolt under footplate. Cut down, re-drilled, Lima drawbar for scale spacing. And lead in the original frame and boiler. Think the Hornby pin and drawbar system on their tender drives, simple, took longer to paint! On my remaining 2-4-0, i used Romford Drivers and Jackson pony because i got them cheap but they are far superior.

• Informative/Useful 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 16/10/2020 at 00:01, 33C said:

This is the second Ratio kit i've  motorised this way. The HO 4F tender drive is tailor-made for this type of conversion (and others). This one pictured (since sold) used the original wheels with a piano wire pick-up rubbing on one side, wire from a Tri-ang Nellie pick-up plate to brass bolt under footplate. Cut down, re-drilled, Lima drawbar for scale spacing. And lead in the original frame and boiler. Think the Hornby pin and drawbar system on their tender drives, simple, took longer to paint! On my remaining 2-4-0, i used Romford Drivers and Jackson pony because i got them cheap but they are far superior.

Here's the first Ratio 2-4-0 i did using the Lima HO 4F tender drive plus the Romford wheels on the loco and a lovely runner she is.

20201029_005427.jpg

Edited by 33C
added detail
  • Like 4
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• 8 months later...

Don't judge me, this was a commission. Lima 4F 'O' gauge, battery driven. Just a service and repaint into the owners livery choice. He's the mad bloke who watches too much Thomas with a railway in the Front garden......20230102_190424.jpg.c4a26a2c4d68da83410b25cc2248c759.jpg20230102_190508.jpg.43c375890e250fd18fc8724f40832811.jpg

20230102_190610.jpg

20230102_190723.jpg

20230102_190742.jpg

20230102_190858.jpg

• Like 9

• RMweb Gold
On 30/10/2020 at 04:56, 33C said:

Here's the first Ratio 2-4-0 i did using the Lima HO 4F tender drive plus the Romford wheels on the loco and a lovely runner she is.

20201029_005427.jpg

This looks proper gorgeous. Did you use the original loco frames?

5 minutes ago, Corbs said:

This looks proper gorgeous. Did you use the original loco frames?

Yes, all original under except, i had the wheels and seemed a shame not to use them!

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 06/01/2023 at 00:04, cypherman said:

Can any one remember if the GBL range of engines do an Aberdare. Might be a possible body shell.

No Aberdare in the range I'm afraid. 

• RMweb Premium
19 hours ago, 33C said:

No Aberdare in the range I'm afraid. 

Hi, yep there's no Aberdare in the range. Only last night I was admiring your (33c) handywork on the old Airfix Kitmaster thread where you used City of Truro and a Lima 09 chassis.. Thanks for the inspiration. My COT is top of the pile and I've just sourced a Lima chassis!! Cheers, Rich

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TinTracks said:

Hi, yep there's no Aberdare in the range. Only last night I was admiring your (33c) handywork on the old Airfix Kitmaster thread where you used City of Truro and a Lima 09 chassis.. Thanks for the inspiration. My COT is top of the pile and I've just sourced a Lima chassis!! Cheers, Rich

Your welcome! Don't forget to slice the Lima brush holes down to a minimum to accommodate the C.O.T. firebox, OR, make it wider,OR, make it slimmer inside with a dremel. Use a card template over the motor to see how much to remove from the kit spectacle plate. Measure twice, cut once....🤪 Good luck! 👍 

Edited by 33C
Added detail.
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, 33C said:

You could replace the motor for one of those new-fangled, CD, motor upgrade kits on ebay at £15?

Thanks for the tip re  brushes, also replacement motors. I've used those motors to power  a static china made German 0-4-0 steeple cab on a Lima 0-4-0 shunter chassis, Being small and HO scale I had to cut wedges out of the outer plaggy motor retainer to get it to fit. I should mention that I'm very old school and don't mind a cab full of motor. I run Dublo or Marklin 3 rail to test locos on ''loose lay'' dining table temporary layouts. My last permanent layout was ripped up in 1959 but the boss has just granted me possession of the back bedroom so I'm hoping for a last magnus opus 7' by 8'6''. I convert the Marklin from 16vac to 12v dc by removing the reversing solenoid and sustitute a pair of diodes, hey presto easy ac/dc conversion.

Just a bit more off topic but I really enjoyed your Princess and B12 plasticard thread, thank goodness most of the pictures survived the piccie blight The A6 is an absolute gem.. I'm currently looking at my GBL stash and thinking of turning 2 of the more damaged Directors into an LNER A5 (Princess chassis) and another into an LNER L1/ laterL3) 2-6-4T using a Dublo 4mt chassis. Just wondered if you'd tried either of these? 

Any ways enough of my ramblings, time for me tablets and a bottle of IPA. Cheers, Rich

Edited by TinTracks
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, TinTracks said:

Thanks for the tip re  brushes, also replacement motors. I've used those motors to power  a static china made German 0-4-0 steeple cab on a Lima 0-4-0 shunter chassis, Being small and HO scale I had to cut wedges out of the outer plaggy motor retainer to get it to fit. I should mention that I'm very old school and don't mind a cab full of motor. I run Dublo or Marklin 3 rail to test locos on ''loose lay'' dining table temporary layouts. My last permanent layout was ripped up in 1959 but the boss has just granted me possession of the back bedroom so I'm hoping for a last magnus opus 7' by 8'6''. I convert the Marklin from 16vac to 12v dc by removing the reversing solenoid and sustitute a pair of diodes, hey presto easy ac/dc conversion.

Just a bit more off topic but I really enjoyed your Princess and B12 plasticard thread, thank goodness most of the pictures survived the piccie blight The A6 is an absolute gem.. I'm currently looking at my GBL stash and thinking of turning 2 of the more damaged Directors into an LNER A5 (Princess chassis) and another into an LNER L1/ laterL3) 2-6-4T using a Dublo 4mt chassis. Just wondered if you'd tried either of these? 

Any ways enough of my ramblings, time for me tablets and a bottle of IPA. Cheers, Rich

Thanks very much! No, not tried those, but i do have some ideas in the pipeline and plenty of spares! I have two projects on the go at the mo but, work is getting in the way. I am old skool too, check out my "Gresley 10000 for a 1000 pence" thread....positively victorian!