1:43 scale SWIMMING ducks

billtee

This may appear silly, but I am completely flummoxed!

Having reasonably successfully modelled a shallow river (or large stream) (sadly, yes I had a leak so the Aqua Magic resin went everywhere, but I managed to plug the leak eventually!) with lots of green plants on the bottom and with lots of bullrushes and reeds on both riverbanks, I thought I would get a few ducks, swimming rather than just standing about, but I have come to an abrupt halt. No-one seems to have these waterfowl!

Langley Models, the ultimate retailer for models of livestock, birds, people and all sorts of creatures, have swans, geese, goslings, and model ducks with feet, even a few sleeping ducks (with heads tucked into their back feathers), but swimming ducks? No!

I suppose, at a pinch, I could file the bottom half of each walking duck to make it a swimming duck, but holding such a little figure of a bird and successfully filing off the bottom half seems almost impossible for clumsy fingers like mine. And then I would still have the challenge of painting them!

I remember at one O gauge exhibition (near Newport, South Wales) I saw a lovely O scale broad gauge layout in which there was a pond with swimming ducks. One or two were even shown with heads down in the water looking for food! However, something like this just can’t be found on the internet, at least not by me!

Can anyone offer some suggestions please?

Thank you, everyone, for your help! I am not so sure about Langley’s ducks, but Duncan’s Models ducks look exactly what I am after, though painting them is going to be a challenge, as my hands are quite shaky, probably due to my advanced age!

I have now almost finished my river scene, with viaduct above. Today I ‘planted’ my trees (bought ones, I must admit!), all ten of them (mixed sizes and tree varieties), and my riverbanks now have lots of reeds, bullrushes and grasses. The ducks will be the finishing touch!

Thank you for all your help and advice - I did have a laugh about the DUKWs, but my river isn’t that big, more like a fairly large stream than the Thames!

Bill

• Like 1

Hi Bill:

I would get in touch with Bernard Hellen at Miniprints in Canada. He's doing amazing animal figures in multiple scales. He's also happy to work with you to design what you need if he doesn't already have it in his catalogue.

Miniprints Web Site

I note he has ducks (under the "sky" tab), and offers them in O scale - 1:48. You could either use them as slightly smaller ducks (not all ducks are the same size) or you could ask him about bumping up his file size by 1.16% before he prints them.

While you're there, have a look around at his other animals, too...

- Trevor

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 1

Thank you, Trevor! I’ll have a look at the Miniprints website for sure. Our hobby is such an all-encompassing one that it is quite difficult to keep up with new products and companies big and small! I used to just use my local model shop many years ago when I modelled OO railways, but O gauge, apart from being bigger, is much more expensive so most model shops do not stock much for our scale/gauge, though r-t-r items (absolutely beautiful models) are beginning to appear in some shops. I am finding that most items or components I require means I have to buy through the internet, not my favourite way of purchasing something. The present crisis with Covid-19 isn’t helping either, as the O gauge exhibitions have been cancelled.

Never mind, let’s just hope that eventually ‘normality’ will return!

Bill

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, billtee said:

Our hobby is such an all-encompassing one that it is quite difficult to keep up with new products and companies big and small!

I would argue its far easier now so much is online. Most things take a few minutes and a bit of imagination on Google, and you often discover a load of things you didnt actually need at the same time! 

I will concede it can absorb a lot of time though!