Articles by Chris Jones in Hornby Mag Circa 2015 - multi level shelf layout

DutyDruid

Hi all

I'm on a bit of a quest here...

A while ago - ok, several years ago - I dipped briefly into a magazine article about a layout built in - I think - a garage.  It was a novel concept, at the bottom a storage yard level, then two scenic levels followed a further storage level at the top.  The levels were linked by helixes and there were "loopback" boards at the top and bottom ends, it was possible for a train to run the whole way up through all levels then round a loop back and all the way back down again.  There was talk of peninsulas and other exciting design elements.

The interest is that I am in the fantasy planning stage of what will probably be the "magnum opus" last layout and I'm contemplating looking to the basic concept of this layout for design innovation and inspiration - but I'm struggling to re-locate the details.  A search of this forum has thrown up a couple of oblique references to it in forum posts questioning whether the magazine it was in was losing its way, but no direct references to the layout itself. 

I have managed to establish the following facts:

• It was in Hornby Mag
  • An article referencing it appeared in an edition that was being talked about in July 2015
  • The author may have been one Chris Jones

Does this ring any bells with anyone please?  Any pointers such as possible magazine issues to look for gratefully received.

Elliott

9 hours ago, ikcdab said:

This suggests it was Jan 2012....

Thank you sir!

That link has provided me with a vital piece of information; the project was called The Corkscrew Lines and a quick google has thrown up this blog:

http://corkscrewlines.blogspot.com/

Knowing that I would want to research this at some point I have been keeping my historic copies of Hornby Mag safe, all I need to do now is work out how to extract them from the shipping container in which they currently reside and start searching...

Elliott

• RMweb Gold
49 minutes ago, DutyDruid said:

Thank you sir!

That link has provided me with a vital piece of information; the project was called The Corkscrew Lines and a quick google has thrown up this blog:

http://corkscrewlines.blogspot.com/

Knowing that I would want to research this at some point I have been keeping my historic copies of Hornby Mag safe, all I need to do now is work out how to extract them from the shipping container in which they currently reside and start searching...

Elliott

It's the magic of rmweb!

• Agree 2

5 minutes ago, ikcdab said:

It's the magic of rmweb!

You're not wrong there Ian, although most of the time it's knowing what the question is that you need to ask to get to what you are looking for.  My starting point was "multi level shelf layout Hornby mag" because that was all I could remember of the original article.

BTW: I just dipped briefly into your layout thread; nice shed!  I will have to go back and have a proper read while the paint is drying on the house renovation I'm currently doing - which is why all my modelling gear and magazines are in a shipping container.