New Loft Layout - Plan Ideas Needed

Liam_uk

12 hours ago, mdvle said:

So in terms of dimensions you have a nice space, a lot of people can only dream of having almost 19' in length.

To me the biggest issue is baseboard heights - the N layout looks like you will need to sit on the floor to view or operate.

Perhaps a rethink, with one side being OO and the other side being N?  You can then have the 2 scales switch levels at the end of the room so they both have a loop running under each other (which doesn't need much clearance) to allow for continuous running.

In terms of the layouts, they have both been raised 2 inches since the picture. It doesn't sound much but makes alot of difference. 

Ive got some small stools that are perfect for sitting on the operate 

10 hours ago, RobinofLoxley said:

This is an interesting project to me because I have a similar kind of loft, with the same space between the timbers to put boards, but less central open space, but a longer run. What I have elected to do is bring the track into the main loft space in order to be able to turn the track round to have a non-roundy track plan but still continuous run. The plans are outlined for criticism in the recent thread setrack vs streamline. Most of the responders on this have already seen it.

AS far as running between the timbers goes, it does spoil some of the views but as has been suggested, some of the track can run in front of it, if you think of 90cm as being an easy stretch. Not sure how to integrate N and OO, if it was me I might be tempted to run the N around an elevated section at the back. It looks a very complicated thing. Run before someone mentions the word 'helix' :senile:

The timbers in front of the layout doesnt bother me too much as you get nearly 2ft between each one. 

Its my compromise to having a longer run.

Ive thought about having under fiddleyards and alsorts. And with the roof angle having a fiddleyard behind is more complicated. 

The double deck is best of both worlds...

1 hour ago, Zomboid said:

Having the N gauge below would seem a good way to go, the image above has the feel of an American style multi level layout.

What to put on top is another matter. And the subject of this thread.

I have contemplated putting putting the 00 on the bottom, in the less is more approach and then have 2ft to 2ft6 wide boards on top for the american to give a big picture of trains in the landscape