BNT Rail DVD's "Cardiff Canton" (Past & Passing)

br2975

BNT Rail DVDs

The South Wales Series No.3

CARDIFF CANTON

(Past & Passing)

Running time 90mins (approx).

Yet another nostalgia riddled presentation by Brian Tucker, of locomotives and movements from the famous footbridge that gave both access and a grandstand view of both Canton TMD and the adjacent South Wales Main Line.

This, the third in a series captures movements within the depot, and along the main line; and, whilst the video content concentrates on the years 1993 - 1998, a number of Brian's very late 1960s and early 1970s photographs of the depot are included - portraying regulars of the time, including two stored Cl.14s.

As for ther video content, all the staples of the mid 90s are included, from Cl.08 though Cl.31 (for refuelling off a flask train)Cl.20 / 37 / 47 / 56 / 59 / 60

A pair of Hunslet Barclay 20s and the weedkilling train, as is another stabled classmate - in the area for crew familiarisation.

As the mid-90s was one of my 'railway doldrums' with little time spent paying a great deal of attention, I am personally amazed at how many Cl.56s were about.

The main line shows TPO's and parcels workings (one with a large logo 47592) as well as several shots of the 'Cawoods' trains to and from Garston/Ellesmere Port, also Llandarcy - Grain bitumen tanks, Saltend - Baglan Bay 'vinegar tanks', Port Talbot Llanwern coal and iron ore, steel and not forgetting the Robeston tanks (it's amazing too how long Murco have kept their red, white and blue livery).

All in all ninety, thoroughly enjoyable minutes from a viewpoint I enjoyed for 40yrs.

The highlight for me, a very brief clip of 56052, with my old friend and servicing shed fitter, the late Alan 'Bradshaw' Hill (after whom 08854 was named) setting the road for the loco to set back into the shed yard.

Thoroughly recommended.

Available from Ian Allan, Cardiff.

Brian R

• 2 months later...

Archived