Suggestions for buying modern shops

I'd like to buy some modern high street type shops for my main street opposite a station entrance. The sort of thing I'm looking to create is something like a Tesco Express - doesn't have to be a too modern building but neeeds to be convertible to a modern fascia, plate glass etc. I've seen the Faller Aldi store which may do for one building.

Actually thinking about it - any suggestions for a modern station frontage too (only needs to be low relief). I was thinking about using the Kingsway Models Morden station but it might be a bit too big.

Suggestions welcome.

Thanks

Paul

Have you consideerd Kato buildings?

They have lots of nice modern style block type buildings (including stations). Some are rather overtly 'eastern modern' but plenty have a 'universal' modern appearance

Just about any building can have its ground floor ripped out to be replaced by plate glass etc, and I guess many building kits could legitimately be bashed in the same way. Here's one near me - still under conversion on this view. It is the double-fronted grey building.

There was a small 60s/70s supermarket in the Superquick range once, I only know this because I bought an assembled example some time ago and 'updated' it with some Safeways logos cut from packaging.

I suppose thats its own kind of retro now blink.gif

The Scalescenes corner shops and kiosk kits include some usefull details if your going to do some plate glass front convertions as the interiors will be a fair bit more visible than before. Or maybe a clothing shop with a couple of maniquins in front of a white background.

Guest jim s-w

Hi Paul

Why not find a real building and scratchbuild a model of it? Its great fun plus you will end up with something unique to you.

I have to admit I dont know whats out there in terms of kits and RTP and theres little chance of anything being suitable for my layout anyway but I dont even consider looking down that route when it comes to buildings - I just automatically think 'scratchbuild'

Cheers

Jim

It's not low relief, but would the Hornby SkaledaleFine Foods Supermarket suit the bill?

It is possible to make these low relief but it's not a pleasant job as the resin is very dusty.

I assume you meant OO as you didn't specify your scale.

Thanks for all the replies. The Hornby supermarket will certainly fit the bill for now and one has now been ordered and should already be on the way. It was OO I was interested in - lesson learned for next time to make it clear.

Jim - I don't think my skills are yet quite up to scratchbuilding but bashing away at a kit to adapt it is something I'd have a go at if I can find something suitable.

Paul

Archived