Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Converting a Bachmann Ivatt 2MT Mogul to BR Standard Class 2 78xxx

• RMweb Gold

Evening,

As the title suggests has anyone tried converting a Bachmann 2MT Mogul to a BR Standard Class 2 78xxx?

Obvious differences are the cab and tender cab profiles, roller bearings on the tender, clack valves replacing the top feed, drop plate ahead of the cylinders, chimney shape, external regulator valve as well as a myriad of pipe work around the firebox.

Comet and Alan Gibson can provide some of the parts. However, the cab would have to be modified and scratch built unless DJH would provide their etched 78xxx cab as a spare.

Be good to hear of peoples thoughts, ideas and even finished models.

Of course Bachmann may well produce one-one day!

Cheers.

Mark

Guest stuartp

Crownline did a conversion kits years ago for the ancient Hornby version including a very nice pair of etched cab sides, a complete etched tender buildable as either version, and some whitemetal bits to alter the cab roof. You might be able to pick one up on Ebay.

Personally I'd put money on the Bachmann version appearing before too long.

• RMweb Gold

Personally I'd put money on the Bachmann version appearing before too long.

Hi Stuart,

Thanks for your reply.

That's the gamble I guess, but I managed to pick up a cheap really badly weathered Bachmann Ivatt 2MT Mogul on ebay recently. The debate is to strip it and repaint it into lined black with early crest or go for the conversion to a 78xxx.

Cheers.

Mark

Archived