dcc loco only goes one way on dc

marlish0_1

Hi,

I've got a Bachmann 25 which only goes one way when I use on :huh: dc current, I have tried a CV reset, but that does not change anything. The loco in question is part of their dcc 'train-set' but I believe this is still a Lenz type decoder. On dcc the thing goes both ways, but is very slow at full speed. Current pick-up is good though, I have several other locos, mainly dcc sound which work ok on dc (no sound though) so the controller works well.

Any ideas greatly received.

You may have very poor contact on one of the track feeds to the decoder (red or black); most likely place is the decoder socket. How does the loco do on DC with a blanking plug in the socket? Any visible corrosion on the pins or socket which can be cleaned off?

The other possibility is a decoder with a marginal rectifier channel, which overheats and stops conducting on DC, just about keeps going on the high frequency DCC supply which allows it cooling time: but which reduces the current supply, leading to reduced speed. Do you have another known good installed decoder to do a two-way swap and see if the problem travels with the decoder or stays on the loco?

You may have very poor contact on one of the track feeds to the decoder (red or black); most likely place is the decoder socket. How does the loco do on DC with a blanking plug in the socket? Any visible corrosion on the pins or socket which can be cleaned off?

The other possibility is a decoder with a marginal rectifier channel, which overheats and stops conducting on DC, just about keeps going on the high frequency DCC supply which allows it cooling time: but which reduces the current supply, leading to reduced speed. Do you have another known good installed decoder to do a two-way swap and see if the problem travels with the decoder or stays on the loco?

Hi, the decoder is one Bachmann hardwired onto a pcb, so I'm unable to swap for another one, no blanking plug either. When it does work in one direction on dc it goes well, ultimately I'm looking to sell it either as a dc or knackered dcc, at the moment it's dodgy either way. Appreciate the quick response

marlish0_1 wrote:

Hi, the decoder is one Bachmann hardwired onto a pcb, so I'm unable to swap for another one, no blanking plug either. When it does work in one direction on dc it goes well, ultimately I'm looking to sell it either as a dc or knackered dcc, at the moment it's dodgy either way. Appreciate the quick response

If you plan to run your locomotive on a DC only layout, what I would do is, remove the circuit board and hardwire both pick-up wires from both bogies to the left and right hand wires coming from the motor. That way, you will be able to operate the locomotive in either direction.

Would you be interested in swapping your Class 25 for a BR Blue Bachmann Chass 24 #5087 fitted with a Bachmann 8 pin 36-553 3 function decoder ?

Like your 25, it's also a slow runner, but I have seven Bachmann 24/25 and they all run the same.

K9-70

Archived