Advice on new plan

Newmodeller96

I would love some advice on my new plan. This is by no means a final plan but it has all the concepts I would like in it. 

A few details - 

00 gauge

1980s-current day south east railways

Mainly DMUs & EMUs 

DCC operated

there will be a helix at the bottom left which will end up at a fiddle yard under the left side of the layout.

Possibly thinking I could turn part of the EMU depot into a Balfour Beatty depot (or something similar). Not sure what to do with the top right of the layout thinking I might just leave it as scenic.

Happy to take any advice as am new to modelling properly as have just got the space to have a permanent layout. 

1E330AF2-173D-4063-8E25-E31A35EACC7F.jpeg

Looks good. I like the concept.  I like ECS movements.  It needs operating prototypically, trains leaving sidings in the morning spending day in FY and coming home to roost in the evening,  with a few shuttling back and forth during the day. I would ease the reverse curves inthe station approach by reversing one point,  I would put the carriage washer on the narrow bit by the chimney breast  (?)   Corners probably not worth using,   absolute sod to light without myriad shadows. nice curved in corners backscene would be good.

Might be more usual to have 2 tracks between platforms instead of one track against the wall.  But if EMUs are your thig it looks great,   You can always run engineers trains ( or steam specials, steam on the met?)  top and tailed if you want a change

SC1.jpeg

It seems to me that if you have a helix bottom right taking the tracks on the left down to a fiddle yard that you will have quite a lot of train storage as the depot already has 7 tracks. Maybe you have a lot of stock already - personally i like to see my stock out on the layout. Given that you are intending to have a helix what is stopping you from having a natural lower track in front of the shown plan - you have good access for it. Could 'disappear' into a tunnel under the station.

I also notice that the plan is based on setrack apart from one point. Have you done this because you already have the track? Otherwise I would replan it in streamline to see what happens - there are pros and cons and Im not recommending either one particularly. I did a similar exercise recently and was very surprised with the outcome.

• Agree 1

4 minutes ago, RobinofLoxley said:

It seems to me that if you have a helix bottom right taking the tracks on the left down to a fiddle yard that you will have quite a lot of train storage as the depot already has 7 tracks. Maybe you have a lot of stock already - personally i like to see my stock out on the layout. Given that you are intending to have a helix what is stopping you from having a natural lower track in front of the shown plan - you have good access for it. Could 'disappear' into a tunnel under the station.

I also notice that the plan is based on setrack apart from one point. Have you done this because you already have the track? Otherwise I would replan it in streamline to see what happens - there are pros and cons and Im not recommending either one particularly. I did a similar exercise recently and was very surprised with the outcome.

Thank you for this.  I did want to use streamline but I do have a lot of set track already so probs cost effective to stick with this. 

im not sure I quite get what you mean about having a lower track in front of the plan?

Well, you said that you were going to have a helix going to a fiddle yard I assume below existing track level. Basically the track or tracks leaving the helix are an opportunity. You have thought so far about a fiddle yard, I am just alerting you to the possibility of continuing the track from the helix onwards on its own boards set about 8cm lower than the baseline of the main board level, and slightly in front. Much more complicated from a carpentry perspective and scenery elements are required to link the two levels. You don't have to do anything about it except to think about the provision for it, whatever you decide to do.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, RobinofLoxley said:

Well, you said that you were going to have a helix going to a fiddle yard I assume below existing track level. Basically the track or tracks leaving the helix are an opportunity. You have thought so far about a fiddle yard, I am just alerting you to the possibility of continuing the track from the helix onwards on its own boards set about 8cm lower than the baseline of the main board level, and slightly in front. Much more complicated from a carpentry perspective and scenery elements are required to link the two levels. You don't have to do anything about it except to think about the provision for it, whatever you decide to do.

Right I get you :) and I hadn’t thought of that I really like it :)