Modelling OHLE - Authentically and correctly

Hi all. I’m wanting some advice and tips on modelling ohle.

I already have some Peco masts on my layout which have recently started to give me problems but this is mainly due to how I built/assembled them.  I modified them a while back to look a bit more accurate to the prototype. These will be getting repaired and improved or completely replaced - will probably repair them to save a bit of money. I’m about to scratchbuild several portals for the layout which will complete the ohle and I want what I already have to be spot on before I add these to the layout. 

when I first started adding the ohle a couple of years ago, I was a novice and wanted the easy life. I didn’t pursue realism. But now I’ve gained more confidence, skill and knowledge under my belt, I am wanting to improve the ohle as much as possible. Improving the masts is one thing so they’re more strong and durable. I also want to get rid of the annoying and unrealistic uplift of the wires when the pantograph press up against them - I run Bachmann class 90s at the moment and the pantographs are beautifully sprung. I’m under the impression tensioning the wires will solve this. Again, I was a novice and had no knowledge on ohle so had no idea what tensioning was!

Jim Smith-Wright’s P4 New Street along with Outon Road and Parrot Hall are big inspirations to me and the two latter layouts I recently discovered. It was these two layouts that prompted me to improve my ohle. 

here’s a few points on my own layout I think I should add:

• The layout is a 10ft x 8ft roundy roundy so it’s not big at all. It unfortunately consists of tight bends meaning the masts have to stay close together. Because of this, I’m not bothering pursuing ‘ultimate realism - that’ll be when I build a much bigger layout with more realistic bends and overall track work. But I want to get the ohle as good as I can so it functions well for now. 

• it consists of three lines that’ll be electrified. Two mainlines and a reception road with terminating siding. The total ‘run’ of the wires on the mainline will be between 8-10 metres at a guess and the siding around 5 metres. This is probably more than it really is but I havn’t measured the total distance around the layout following the track but maybe I should if it helps. 

any information, tips, techniques and general ‘rules’ on the subject from experts and experienced, clued up ohle modellers will be greatly appreciated! If there’s any more info you need then please ask

thanks.