Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

New to XtrackCAD

I've just loaded XtrackCAD on my Mac and have started working on my new layout. I'm starting to get the hang of it but I can't understand why some of my tracks gets drawn in yellow rather than like the rest being brown. I've just put in a Cornu curve and adjusted it to suit but one section within that curve is brown when the rest are yellow. I have checked the properties box and the tracks are on the same layer and elevation. In the properties box all the parameters are ghosted so can't change anyway.

Can anyone help please?

Richard

7 minutes ago, RichD1 said:

Just discovered what it is. It lets you know when you violate the parameters you set up in the properties box when starting.

Richard

Yep. Almost certainly the radius is too tight, or too tight according to the parameters.

The program is quirky to say the least but easier to get started in than Anyrail.

Edited by colin smith
mangled words

2 hours ago, RichD1 said:

I did try briefly RailModeller but you can't get a custom sized baseboard unless you buy the Pro so I never really got going on it.

Why did you find XtrackCAD tricky?

Richard

I found the user interface quirky and un-Mac-like. Rather like a poorly ported piece of Windows software. RailModeller is much more intuitive in my mind but I still get in a muddle sometimes when fixing track heights and gradients and it is still being updated with new functions on a regular basis. The Pro versions also offers free email support and they are open to suggestions for improvements and new features. I admit I've never asked for support so I don't know how responsive they are.

• RMweb Gold

The user interface is also poor and often counterintuitive for windows software too. That said, I think there’s only one person working on it fairly infrequently. It’s good for the price though :)