Wheelbase- Karrier Bantam and Leyland LAD tractor units

One thing that has struck me with both the Base Toys Bantam and LAD tractor units is that the wheelbase seems to be far too long. Does anyone have approximate figures for either of these vehicles?

Thanks in advance

Brian

Hi Brian

The Bantam chassis is 6'3" = 25mm. The Base Toys is 28mm.

A big improvment is to shorten the chassis, remove the fifth wheel coupling and replace the wheels with somthing smaller also you can add the ramps for the Scammell coupling. A good model can be improved easily.

The LAD cab was fitted to a number of different chassis. Base Toys have so far produced it as A Leyland Beaver and an Albion Cheiftain. Sorry I don't have the measurments of wheelbase but I agree it looks long. Most artcs were about 8' = 32mm, the Base chassis is 34mm.

I think I put a picture of the Bantam, before and after on the Railway Motors thread a few months back.

Merfyn.

Hi Brian

The Bantam chassis is 6'3" = 25mm. The Base Toys is 28mm.

A big improvment is to shorten the chassis, remove the fifth wheel coupling and replace the wheels with somthing smaller also you can add the ramps for the Scammell coupling. A good model can be improved easily.

The LAD cab was fitted to a number of different chassis. Base Toys have so far produced it as A Leyland Beaver and an Albion Cheiftain. Sorry I don't have the measurments of wheelbase but I agree it looks long. Most artcs were about 8' = 32mm, the Base chassis is 34mm.

I think I put a picture of the Bantam, before and after on the Railway Motors thread a few months back.

Merfyn.

Thanks for that, Mervyn. After typing my enquiry, I looked at the chassis on the LAD, and realised there was a third position for the front axle, rearwards of the others. I unscrewed the cab, removed the front axle and repositioned it, then refixed the cab using the appropriate fixing hole in the chassis- it gives a wheelbase of about 32mm and, perhaps more importantly, looks right.

Looks like the Bantam is one for a winter's evening, though....

Thanks for that, Mervyn. After typing my enquiry, I looked at the chassis on the LAD, and realised there was a third position for the front axle, rearwards of the others. I unscrewed the cab, removed the front axle and repositioned it, then refixed the cab using the appropriate fixing hole in the chassis- it gives a wheelbase of about 32mm and, perhaps more importantly, looks right.

Looks like the Bantam is one for a winter's evening, though....

Both my Albion and Leyland were already in the third slot ! Sounds like they are not too fussy when assembling them in China.

I think a bigger problem is the cab is too small.

Merfyn.

Archived