GCR Huddersfield Line

• RMweb Premium
17 hours ago, GWRSwindon said:
On 01/01/2022 at 12:21, ianathompson said:

I was only contemplating the subject the other day.

If the LNWR had continued their line through to Bradford I assume that the single line branch would have been doubled.

Indeed, and I suspect the GNR would have been willing to simply use this line rather build their own (rather expensive) one. The Dewsbury loop also seems unlikely to be constructed here.

A quick glance at the map seems to show that the line and bridges were built for double track, although it was only ever single as far as I know.

Memory would suggest that the bridges were double width.

Most of the branch has been obliterated in the last fifty years and little remains.

I suspect that the arch in Batley Park (correctly known as  Wilton Park) remains untouched but this is not accessible by Google Earth.

The west side abutment still remains on "School Hill" or Carlinghow Hill as it is correctly called.

This is visible on Google Earth.

Field Hill bridge had a tight arch that was notorious for "single decking" double deck buses.

Lines were painted on the road to help the drivers align their vehicle correctly.

I vividly recall walking back to the CofE primary school one dinner time, aged 9 or 10, and seeing yet another one stuck under the bridge.

Modern bridge bashing is not a new phenomenon!

Needless to say this bridge "went" shortly after the line closed.

Ian T

Edited by ianathompson
typo
  • Informative/Useful 2

• 1 month later...