LNERGE resorts to a semaphore.

I've actually had to make a semaphore fo the model railway. I can go to work and make real ones if i want and have always fought shy of making them in model form. Within the area protected by the signal there is a baseboard joint and lift out section. There is insufficient capapacity in the plug coupler to bring the DR circuit from the signal ahead. I didn't want a two aspect showing red/yellow so really the only option left was a semaphore.

I have loads of Ratio kits acquired over the years so i knocked one up, driven by a relay as a temporary measure until i can pluck up the courage to build in brass and experiment with servos. There has been a vague attempt to Easternise the Ratio LMR kit. Some finer adjustments still required but here it is..

https://www.flickr.com/photos/32297024@N08/50895938321/

Edited by LNERGE
  • Like 2

I have an Alan Gibson Workshop LMS straight tubular post signal that I intend some day to build as an LNE fixed distant. However, apart from knowing that LMS and LNE tubular post signals were siblings of a sort, and certainly closer siblings than the GW ones, I lack the knowledge to enlighten me on exactly what the differences are, particularly as I don't think that I have any detail drawings of the LNE version.

Given your detailed knowledge of the real things, and your attempt to "easternise" the Ratio kit, it would be extremely helpful if you could point out what the principal differences are. (I am aware that tubular post fixed distants were comparatively rare as, being fixed, the pre-group or early-LNE wood post versions tended to survive well.)

I've long been thinking about starting a thread about making Eastern Region signals from Ratio kits. I'll start posting some photo's when i can get out again. I had at least ten fixed distants on the heritage line i play with. I have managed to do away with two so far and replace them with worked signals.

• Like 4

I shall have a go at building this signal. The Ratio kits are ok but brass is the best way. The idea is to produce a signal quickly and cheaply. All the kits were bought cheaply at mystical places called toy fairs or model railway show. Some may remember them. 

A03406B5-F884-4BB2-90A0-E1492C217D59.jpeg

• Like 4

5 hours ago, LNERGE said:

One of my fixed distants. Rendered unworkable by replacement of the off buffer spring with a piece of tube.

DSC03683.JPG

That's incredibly useful - and answers the question of how the "green" spectacle was treated (no glass, no filler sheet). Thanks.

In this instance there is evidence of the green lens below the signal. There is no way of telling if it was smashed out by the guys doing the mod to the formerly worked distant or by others. Another on the line had the modified down rod but still had it’s green lens. 

• Informative/Useful 1

I have taken the liberty of adding some dimensions to your photo of the fixed distant signal. These are based on the LMSR standard but, so far as I can see and certainly within modelling limitations, these are the same for the LNER.

LNERtubularpostfixeddistant.jpg.3abb4677dfc995aba4d0549a0881f7d2.jpg