ZTC 304 accessory decoder on ECoS

Hibelroad

During a lockdown clear out I came across an unused ZTC 304 accessory decoder. I have never used an accessory decoder but thought I might try it out as a controller for some model station lights. I  have the ZTC manual so I have been able to connect the decoder to my ESU ECoS command station with a couple of test 12v lamps on one output. The programming instructions in the manual refer to a ZTC controller so are no help . I have tried to activate the unit in the same way as I would programme a loco decoder by trying POM and also using the direct programme output but had no luck with read or write (to CV1). I also found the ECoS screen to set up accessories and set up a street lamp but it doesn't seem to do anything. When connected to the ECoS the red LED on the decoder box continually flickers. As you can tell I have no real understanding of accessory decoders and don't even know if this one is compatible with ESU command station. However any thought or suggestions would be welcome as I might go on to make more use of them when I build my next great project !

It should be compatible as both are NMRA compliant.

I did have some 304s but I never used them with my ECoS and sold them. I still have a ZTC 305 somewhere, never used, and probably never likely to be used.

The instructions do tell you how to set up the address on a 304 with an ECoS, as the 304 uses the "learn" method. This means that you must first set up an accessory on the ECoS with the address (ZTC call it the "Base Address") that you want the first port on the 304 to use. This base address must be 1, or 5 or 9 or 13 or 17 or 21, or 25 etc, etc. 

I will now quote the ZTC manual:

"The ZTC 304 and ZTC 305 come already set with a base address of 1. That is, with addresses 1, 2, 3 and 4 for each of the four channels. The default address will have to be changed if more than one accessory decoder is to be used on your layout. The following method for changing the address is known as the Address Capture Method. Stop all trains running, and remove them from the track, or if you have a separate accessory signal bus, just unplug the track connection to the controller. This eliminates the risk of inadvertently programming loco modules. Briefly press the programming button found on the side of the accessory decoder (see figure 1). This puts the decoder into programming mode. This is confirmed by a flashing red light."

Instead of the "Signal - Base Address - Enter R" command on a ZTC 505, 511 or 611, you operate the accessory that you just created on the ECoS.

Now to quote the ZTC manual again:

"The accessory decoder will show acceptance of the new address by the RED light staying on for a few seconds. Briefly press the programming button once more to exit programming mode."

That should be all that there is to it to set the address.

You will probably need to set the other CVs as well. Connect the 304 to the programming track output of the ECoS, go to the DCC programming option in the ECoS configuration menu, and you should be able to read and write direct to the CVs listed in the ZTC manual. But don't try to change CVs 1 or 9, as these control the base address, and I don't think that you can program them without using the "learn" method. 

Edited by GoingUnderground

Thank you for that , the mist in my mind is slowly clearing. I will have a go at following the instructions and report back. I did rather skim over the ZTC instructions as I didn’t think they were relevant but I will now pay closer attention. 

Teaching the decoder through the "learn" method should "just work".   

Whereas programming track methods, which Keith advises against, may run into other issues with addresses, notably the two slightly different interpretations of how accessory addresses should be done within the NMRA standards.     

One other factor to watch will be RailCom.   I doubt the ZTC decoder had any consideration of RailCom when it was designed.  Some decoders take exception to the RailCom signal, and won't work reliably.   So, it might be necessary to turn off RailCom in the ECoS.   (Personally, I'd find that a rather drastic step; if buying an expensive ECoS I'd want to use its advanced features, including RailCom.   ).  

- Nigel

Thanks Nigel. I really just wanted to get this decoder working to gain some experience and if I find it useful I would get up to date units for future use. When I get chance to experiment I will try the RailCom settings, as you say if this is a limitation then the ZTC unit will not have a long term future.

Edited by Hibelroad
Wrong name

3 hours ago, Nigelcliffe said:

Teaching the decoder through the "learn" method should "just work".   

Whereas programming track methods, which Keith advises against, may run into other issues with addresses, notably the two slightly different interpretations of how accessory addresses should be done within the NMRA standards.     

One other factor to watch will be RailCom.   I doubt the ZTC decoder had any consideration of RailCom when it was designed.  Some decoders take exception to the RailCom signal, and won't work reliably.   So, it might be necessary to turn off RailCom in the ECoS.   (Personally, I'd find that a rather drastic step; if buying an expensive ECoS I'd want to use its advanced features, including RailCom.   ).  

- Nigel

I've read that some decoders that use the "learn" method do not let you read or write to CVs 1 and 9. I don't know if this applies to the 304, but in case it did that's why I advised against trying to do so. Reading and writing the other CVs via the programming track should work.

A good point about RailCom, I should have mentioned it, so many thanks, Nigel, for filling my omission. ZTC did sell RailCom capable loco decoders (their "later" ones that formed the "Diamond" range, I have some of them myself. ZTC didn't call it RailCom, instead they referred to it as "ZTC Talkback". AFAIK, the 505, 511 and 611 were not RailCom capable. So incompatibility with RailCom might be an issue with the 304 if the ECoS is configured to have RailCom turned on. I would be inclined to try the 304 with RailCom turned on, and if you get nowhere then turn it off. 

I should also have reminded you that since the ECoS is multiprotocol, if you haven't already done so then it would be advisable to make sure that the ECoS is configured to have the other digital protocols turned off, namely Maerlkin Motorola (MM), Selectrix and M4 (Maerklin mfx), as it is also doubtful that the 304 would be happy in a multiprotocol environment as it was only designed for DCC. Of course, if you are using any of the other 3 protocols in addition to DCC then turning them off might not be an option for you.  

Edited by GoingUnderground
spelling & typo corrections

Well after hours of experimentation with various configurations of wiring and controller settings I still cannot get the ZTC 304 to work so I’ve given up on it. Thank you for the guidance, I feel I have a better understanding of how it should work now, but I can feel the purchase of a switch pilot coming on.