selecting a free CAD drawing program

DonB

I have a file containing a number of Drawings done in an Autocad programme which I no longer have access to.

I need a cad program capable of reading these files so that I can print them if they are suitable for my purposes.

As i understand it, not all free cad programs will import  Autocad .dwg files.

Any advice.. ?? I have on desire to draw more, hence the search for a Freebie, or one offering a trial period.

Thanks in advance!!

Edited by DonB
spellin

Don,

There is always AutoCAD 'trueview', which is a free CAD viewer from AutoCAD, so you can be reasonably sure it will open your files. You cannot 'draw' with it though.

Ian

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

If you need to edit ".dwg" files then you could try LibreCAD.

...but don't expect all the features / objects of Autocad to work in LibreCAD.

One of the (many) ways professional software tries to "keep you" is to be ahead of the game in terms of features - thus making the (admittedly more useful product) incompatible with the free competition.

Here's a list that LibreCAD will load: -

image.png.01b58a0ba3a411bf8fbeeb35659b0f00.png

Kev.

Edited by SHMD
  • Thanks 1

I use SCARM it's a pretty basic program but for planning a layout I find it very useful, there is a basic free version, the Licenced version is about £25, and there are addons including a 3D train you can drive around you newly built track so you can see how your loco will perform. You should check it out, might be useful.

• Thanks 1

Try downloading nanocad.  Free and uses dwg format.  And you can draw with it as well.  I have been using it since Autocad decided I couldn't continue using theirs although I had a licence and grandfather rights.  (Alisdair)

• Thanks 1

On 05/02/2021 at 18:12, Quarryscapes said:

Are these 3D models? Fusion 360 can use 2D DWGs to create sketches and printing templates, 3D DWGS can be imported and converted into Fusion models the same way as STLS, STEPS etc can. 

No they are 2-D drawings of ground plans and buildings mainly. done on Autocad13 some years ago... Thanks