CSX Isola West - HO Layout

z4driver

• RMweb Premium

Hi all, I've lurking on the forums for a while and thought I'd start my own thread about my shortly upcoming layout.

A bit of background first, I live in the UK and have always done some form of modelling including model railways, HO SNCF, N German & 009. However, picking up a copy of Model Railroader from Smiths in 1996 (the September issue with David Barrow’s South Plains District layout) sold me on US railroading. I sold my N German stuff and bought some N US and started on a layout. Finding a copy of Bruce Chubb’s “How to Operate Your Model Railroad” in my local library completely changed the way I looked a model railroading. However, circumstances meant that in 2003 I had to sell of all model railroad stuff and that was the end of that.

Time passed and circumstances meant that in 2019 interest was rekindled, especially as final house move, and retirement loomed. I decide that the passing of years meant HO was more feasible eyesight wise and modern era was looked good. Lots of looking at YouTube (& buying stock) and reading books (& buying stock) followed. Currently I’m between houses, awaiting completing on our new house and am due to retire at the end of March.

The Layout

The space available is approximately 20’-22’ x 11’-12’. Can’t confirm the measurements until we move in. Aiming at CSX switching layout (Lance Mindheim style) around the walls with maybe a peninsular. I’m thinking of utilising ‘surround staging’ where the staging tracks are behind a low view block so allowing the visual part of the layout to be all the way around. I liked to incorporate through running which would allow me to run trains which wouldn’t necessarily have anywhere to stop on the layout: intermodal, commuter etc. I have an idea of having a local which would have to shove down through a street running section into an industrial area. This means I could use my Tangent Models ex-B&O CSX patched shoving platform :)

A typical operation session could be a transfer run from a nearby major yard (staging) to a small yard, block a couple of locals, locals deliver and pick from various industries and a transfer back to staging.

Practicality wise, thinking of using all Peco track, Code 100 staging, Code 83 in the visible section (although hoping that Code 70 switches will be out soon and maybe use that). #6 minimum switches and 24” min radius. DCC sound for control (MERG system and Soundtraxx decoders), hand thrown switches using underboard spoke method with frog juicers and hand uncoupling.

I hope to keep you posted as I progress. Any comments or advice would be more than welcome!!

Cheers Lee

PS a ‘Thumbs Up’ for who gets the name origin first (no googling!)

• Like 8

• 2 years later...
  • RMweb Premium
11 hours ago, stivesnick said:

Lee

Great little video that explains what you afre trying to achieve. Look forward to seeing more updates.

Regards 

Nick 

Thanks Nick, hopefully some incentive now to get on and do it.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

It looks like you have an excellent looking layout going. Reminds me of the numerous CSX locals and yard jobs I have photographed over the years.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

@Jeff_W Thanks very much for that. It can be hard modelling a railroad from a country that you've never been to, so it's nice to know that I'm somewhere in the ball park.

Lee

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

I'll share a few photos I've taken of locals and yard jobs. They're almost interchangeable. A "local" will travel further than a yard job, often to another city or yard 50-100 miles out. Yard jobs will stay close to a yard, switching nearby industries. CSX changed the symbols for the locals about two years ago, Louisville Division (my local area) went from using a J prefix (J765, J768,etc.) to L for "local", which makes sense. Yard jobs have always had a Y prefix, but the first digit indicates which shift (first, second,third), Y128 would be a first shift job. They always have a date behind the symbol which indicates the day of origin, if you feel up to adding train symbols to your operations.

48801525616_0f144854e2_b.jpgCSX Y125, Louisville,KY 9/26/2019 by Jeff  Wagoner, on Flickr

48943233956_6287279ca3_b.jpgCSX J755-20, Doe Run, Brandenburg,KY 10/22/2019 by Jeff  Wagoner, on Flickr

Looking forward to seeing your progress!

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Premium

@Jeff_W Thanks for those, Jeff. They certainly put paid to the idea that all US trains are DP and 100+ cars! The information about symbols and the way things work is great. I've just followed you on Flickr so I'll be looking through your photos.

Lee

Edited by z4driver
  • Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Enjoyed the video - Bruce Chubb’s Sunset Valley RR (the original one as in his book) is easily one of my favourite all time layouts.  I like the way you explain for any US viewers how layout space works out in the UK.  Good stuff, Keith.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
14 hours ago, Keith Addenbrooke said:

Enjoyed the video - Bruce Chubb’s Sunset Valley RR (the original one as in his book) is easily one of my favourite all time layouts.  I like the way you explain for any US viewers how layout space works out in the UK.  Good stuff, Keith.

Thanks, Keith. That layout is definitely one of my favourites

Lee

Edited by z4driver
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Hi all, I've just uploaded the first video in a series documenting my very first ops session on my layout. As this is the first time I've done any operating on any layout, I'd be grateful if you have the time if you could watch and comment.

Thanks Lee

• Like 2