Class 323 Pantograph Bay pictures

Hi,

Some of you may know that I am attempting to convert a Farish class 159 into a 323 EMU in the Centro livery. I am currently working on the pantograph bay and one thing I am having trouble sourcing is any decent pictures of the pantograph bay and the associated equipment as I want to get the positioning of the pantograph right as well as the colours.

If anyone has a couple of pictures showing this part of a 323 unit that may be of use to me I would be extremely grateful if you were to post them on here.

Once again, many thanks

Stephen

• RMweb Premium

That makes 2 of us cool.gif

But im currently on the look out for a cheap 3 car 158 / 159. I have the conversion kit, just need the vinyls.

Thanks for posting the pics Jim

Anthony

• RMweb Premium

Notice on the side "Do not sit or stand..." ( last bit obscured by weathering )

Picture a guy sitting on the pantograph arm to get a closer look at the weathered part of the notice!

:D

Jim - Many many many thanks. Those pictures are of great help and I shall be using them to aid in the construction of the pantograph bay (not sure if I will get a chance to do it today). I may even see if I can find a nice sitting down figurine to make a mockery of the do not sit sign...

Anthony - it took me a while to find all the bits I needed. The 159 was the most expensive part but I found a Buy It Now on ebay that was about the price I was willing to pay so I was quite lucky. I would definietly reccommend getting one with a Bachmann Chassis as opposed to the older ones, although the amount of time you will need to spend using the Brasso on the body will be longer, the engine will run smoother.

Here is a picture of the progress I have made so far today:

post-6976-12756521222_thumb.jpg

I gave the air dam a second coat of paint so I am just waiting for that to dry before I attach it and then I will properly stick the vinyl down at the front end. I have to say the Air Dam was the trickiest part for me to shape and I am not entirely convinced of the shape I have made so far. Still, I have a spare set of etchings (I got 2 because I was worried I would make a mess of it and also because I might want to make a second unit). I will do a full update on whats been going on in my blog later.

That makes 2 of us cool.gif

But im currently on the look out for a cheap 3 car 158 / 159. I have the conversion kit, just need the vinyls.

Thanks for posting the pics Jim

Anthony

The 3 car 170 is a much better basis (I appreciate from the other posts its a bit late to tell you this) ;). The body shape is much closer so you can get a nice transition from the nose end to the body shell - although it needs a lot more elbow grease on the roof to get all the 170 roof details back off the model and fill it.

The cab should be slightly curved forward and the air dam slants inwards on the side. When you do that the front of the air dam will bulge forward which is what you want. The thing to watch on the air dam is that steps fold *outwards* as per the prototype.

Archived