Chaldron waggons inside bearings

T0ny

Does anyone have suggestions for making inside bearings for chaldron waggons? I am trying to build some of these for my model (feelance, vaguely early 20thC) but I am having difficulty attaching the wheels/axles.

Thanks in advance

Tony

15 minutes ago, T0ny said:

Does anyone have suggestions for making inside bearings for chaldron waggons? I am trying to build some of these for my model (feelance, vaguely early 20thC) but I am having difficulty attaching the wheels/axles.

Thanks in advance

Tony

Hi Tony,

I have just built 24 Chaldron wagons along with some ballast wagons with inside bearings and I used some .080" plasticard axle guides cut 2mm X 3mm glued to the underside of the frame with a slight clearance for the axle, the axle is retained by a strip of .020". They run freely enough and are almost as good as some other wagons I have built that has brass bearings and pin point axles. The wagons are not weighted and that may well be one of the reasons why, I guessed that should they be weighted then it would increase the friction between the axles and the underside of the wagon.

DSCF1409.JPG.727cdf3366a311f3faebb04741bb9584.JPG

Shewing a jig that I made to assist positioning of the axle guides, there were two, one for each position in relation to the end of the wagon.

DSCF1413.JPG.ea214226a2111577d415f1c5ed780840.JPG

One of the finished wagons with lots of others in the back ground, the wheels are Hornby split spoke wheels with the ends of the axles filed off.

DSCF1416.JPG.5b601d3759c1545eeb170072a5043aab.JPG

A box chaldron similar to the one at Beamish, it has since had a brake handle fitted.

Gibbo.

• Like 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

5 minutes ago, T0ny said:

To Gibbo,

I have been looking at your photos. I am impressed by the waggons you have made. The rake in the background of photo 2 look most impressive.

Tony

Hi Tony,

Plenty more to see on my thread in the link below.

Gibbo.

• 1 month later...
On 19/02/2021 at 19:08, Gibbo675 said:

Hi Tony,

I have just built 24 Chaldron wagons along with some ballast wagons with inside bearings and I used some .080" plasticard axle guides cut 2mm X 3mm glued to the underside of the frame with a slight clearance for the axle, the axle is retained by a strip of .020". They run freely enough and are almost as good as some other wagons I have built that has brass bearings and pin point axles. The wagons are not weighted and that may well be one of the reasons why, I guessed that should they be weighted then it would increase the friction between the axles and the underside of the wagon.

DSCF1409.JPG.727cdf3366a311f3faebb04741bb9584.JPG

Shewing a jig that I made to assist positioning of the axle guides, there were two, one for each position in relation to the end of the wagon.

DSCF1413.JPG.ea214226a2111577d415f1c5ed780840.JPG

One of the finished wagons with lots of others in the back ground, the wheels are Hornby split spoke wheels with the ends of the axles filed off.

DSCF1416.JPG.5b601d3759c1545eeb170072a5043aab.JPG

A box chaldron similar to the one at Beamish, it has since had a brake handle fitted.

Gibbo.

Thank you for your inspiration re: inside bearings. I took a different path and have produced these:

From the left - my prototype, wrong size but brass bearings. These need a retention tab to keep the wheels from falling off.

Middle - using styrene sheet. Quicker to make and, if you are careful with the size of the slot, the wheels will snap into place and remain in place.

Right - a developement using wire hoops to retain the wheels. The wheels however cannot be replaced easily. Note this picture is just to demonstrate the principle, everything is held in place with blu-tack!

266033210_Chaldronbearingsdevelopment.jpg.c3e0cbeeb9c8f2e10186b1acca9c9929.jpg

And here are some waggons I have created. I know the wheels are wrong, I wasn't going to buy any split spoke ones until I had seen whether I could make some waggons. Still to add brakes to most of them.

1474682536_Chaldronbearingsdevelopment-2.jpg.dc3ba3f4f935179f3961384baf4f1ef1.jpg

Tony

• Like 3
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1