RMweb

TTS in J15 Tender Fitting Problem

Pierre Le Brun

I'm struggling fitting TTS in the tender of the J15. The speaker fits great in the designated space underneath the weight on the floor. However the decoder body is where I'm struggling to fit inside the tender. Doesn't appear to be enough space. Anyone had experience of fitting a TTS in a J15 or a work around. One option is to possibly fit a smaller speaker and have the decoder  where the speaker should go, but not sure. 

Would doing something like this work for you. I did something similar to this with my Q6 TTS installation but put the decoder where they put the small cube speaker, after making a slot in the plastic slope under the coal load.

https://www.youchoos.co.uk/Index-Resource.php?L1=Guides&Item=OO-J15

Edited by mkrob
  • Informative/Useful 1

1 hour ago, mkrob said:

Would doing something like this work for you. I did something similar to this with my Q6 TTS installation but put the decoder where they put the small cube speaker, after making a slot in the plastic slope under the coal load.

https://www.youchoos.co.uk/Index-Resource.php?L1=Guides&Item=OO-J15

I had looked at that previously. As it's a new loco I didn't particularly want to modify the tender but I think that would be my only option as there isn't much space. It does seem strange that Hornby provide the space for the obligatory speaker and no room for the decoder. Ironically I had to return my TTS decoder today as on testing the sound didn't work though the loco was running. I've asked for a replacement dcc decoder instead of a sound decoder. 

• Informative/Useful 1

Its my belief that TTS decoders are susceptible to ESD like a lot of electronic circuit components with integrated circuits. It may be what happened to yours. It seems a matter of luck when fitting TTS decoders that may or may not work properly after fitting. As a precaution,it's best to wear a ESD strap when handling any dcc decoder,especially an expensive sound decoder. Its just my opinion and many people may disagree!     

Edited by mkrob

11 hours ago, mkrob said:

Its my belief that TTS decoders are susceptible to ESD like a lot of electronic circuit components with integrated circuits. It may be what happened to yours. It seems a matter of luck when fitting TTS decoders that may or may not work properly after fitting. As a precaution,it's best to wear a ESD strap when handling any dcc decoder,especially an expensive sound decoder. Its just my opinion and many people may disagree!     

I've not had a problem previously with decoders though they have been top end sound decoders and tested . I think I will steer clear of TTS in future unless factory fitted. 

On 21/02/2021 at 10:28, Richard Croft said:

Thats my thoughts too, I've fitted quite a few int he past and the failure rates are so much higher than with Loksound decoders.

Agreed the shop said there was a 3% failure rate and I assumed they meant just TTS. They are not tested by the store before sending to customers as the packs are sealed unlike loksound which are tested (like the Railcar sound you sent me Richard). 

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

Some time ago I fitted sound into a J15. Here's the link to the post:

https://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/124592-some-rtr-rolling-stock-for-all-saints-east/&do=findComment&comment=2916126

You will see that ripping out the PCB board and starting from scratch is best given the imited space unless you are willing to cut away all the coal space to provide more room. The use of the Zimo 'dumbo' speaker, which I have used in several other locos, gives a reproduction that is far better than others, better tonal range and clarity, even those that would appear to be using identical speakers.

Recently in connection with some experiments I temporarily fitted a Hornby 'Maud' TTS decoder. It was like chalk and cheese not surprisingly, chuff rate was quite a bit out and it just seemed 'noisy' despite my best efforts to make suitable sound adjustments.   If you can, fitting a proper sound job is worth the time, effort, and cost. I do think with steam as opposed to diesel, the inability to set a matching chuff rate with TTS is the biggest single downfall. Whatever else you do it just seems 'wrong'.

Bob

• Informative/Useful 1