How did the pooling arrangements work for 1930s private owner coal traffic?

Hi.

I understand that during the inter-war period private owner coal wagons could be marked with several symbols.

One was the yellow and black cc symbol meaning, I believe, "commuted charge";

Second there was a yellow star, black square symbol referring, I believe, to a pool arrangement.

Mostly these are on the bottom left of the wagon though some are elsewhere.

Is anybody able to describe how these arrangements worked and when?  Looking at photographs of loaded coal trains there are often groups of wagons from the same source together so it seems to me the pooling arrangement was not as open as the wartime pool.

Thanks, Paul

To my understanding the symbols don't relate to pooling.

The yellow start refers to the fact that the owner has paid a fixed charge to cover the cost of any shunting and siding charges.

The CC symbol is similar but instead says that the owner has paid a fixed charge to cover the cost of moving for the purpose of loading, repairs and any other movements beyond the usual journey.

I'm sure someone with far more knowledge than me will be along to explain it better soon.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

Read all about it:

Although various types of railway company wagons were pooled from various dates during the Great War, private owner mineral wagons were not pooled until the Second World War.

Edited by Compound2632
  • Like 1