ECoS and DCC Concept digital point decoders

The Black Hat

Hello all, 

Again I am calling on the great and knowledgeable within the RM Web community to ask for advice. My new layout will be having about 26 point motors on the front scenic section of the layout. I am thinking of powering these using DCC Concepts cobalt point motors and running off the track supply - although wiring for the point decoders is planned to run off a separate set of wiring. after it leaves the ECoS itself. 

Someone has mentioned possibility of burn out with these decoders - is this anything that others have found when powering off an ECoS?

Am I right in thinking too that if your using insulfrog points as well that you would not need to use the wire from the Frog socket on the point decoder to the 'frog' parts of the point. 

Thanks in advance. 

There was an issue with memory loss on a batch made in late 2018 - it is documented elsewhere on this forum and other media channels.

The issue was identified and fixed and has not occurred on the many 1000s of motors made since then.

It was not ECoS specific.

If you are using insulfrog points, there is no frog connection required.

As you are connecting them off "another set of wiring" - an accessory bus - if you did happen to use electrofrogs and use the switch on the motor, then this would need to be done via the separate switch terminals - marked S2.

Track power to S2-L and S2-R, frog connection to S2-C

i.e. Do not use S1/frog for frog switching, when using a separate accessory bus

Best Regards

The Dccconcepts Team.

Edited by DCCconcepts
typo2
  • Informative/Useful 1

19 hours ago, The Black Hat said:

Thanks. Does the spring need to be removed too for the point? May as well ask you! 

I have sourced some from a shop so should be making the purchase soon. 

For slow action stall motors - the best practice is to remove the spring. (But we know of some that leave the spring in - it's their choice)

The motor will hold the blades in place at the end of travel.

Best Regards,

The Dccconcepts Team