Chuffnell Regis

Graham T

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Graham T said:

I'm scratching my head a bit about the positioning of it too.  I think I'm right in saying that GW signals go to the left of the running line?  But due to the curve of the track as it emerges from the tunnel that would reduce the time the driver would have to see and react to the signal, so I'm wondering about placing it on the right hand side of the line, just this side of the fogman's hut.  Anyone got any thoughts on that please?

Signals (generally) go on the left of the line including GWR.  But . . . on GWR that means the driver is viewing over the boiler so GWR signals on the right of the line were remarkably common on LH curves.  ‘We’ took one out at Worcester recently because it was so far over that modern drivers didn’t realise it applied to them.

So, right hand mounted is very likely for CR.

Paul.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold

Signal siting/sighting is a science of its own. Engineers, operators and drivers' reps all convene on site to agree what is needed. Early and clear visibility is paramount. Placing the signal on the 'wrong' side is just fine. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium
10 hours ago, Graham T said:

I managed to sneak a few minutes of modelling time this evening, so made a start on the home signal for Chuffnell R.  I'm using a Dapol bracket, and adding the signal for the goods yard entrance using bits from the Ratio kit.  Looking at it so far I think I need to make the Ratio platform a bit shorter still.  I'm also planning to use one of the shorter signal arms on that doll, and will add balance weights to all three.  I did have a wild idea of getting another working Dapol bracket, and seeing if I could bodge the two together, but I don't think it's feasible, and they are too expensive for an experiment that doesn't have much chance of success...

IMG20220420221403.jpg.e58d74c26f9fb7ae47afabba829665c4.jpg

I'm scratching my head a bit about the positioning of it too.  I think I'm right in saying that GW signals go to the left of the running line?  But due to the curve of the track as it emerges from the tunnel that would reduce the time the driver would have to see and react to the signal, so I'm wondering about placing it on the right hand side of the line, just this side of the fogman's hut.  Anyone got any thoughts on that please?

IMG20220420221555.jpg.5f7ddc35e3479fa74d5e558db998f95e.jpg

Graham

What will you do about the light in the extra arm, given that the Dapol signals have lights? I am going to have to hack some Dapol stuff for my Helston signals. I am even thinking of trying to use their N gauge signals as the basis for working and lit ground signals.

On where to place them maybe the Helston story will interest you:

To begin with the down main home was on the left hand side as per normal practice but on the far side of a bridge. It was on an extra tall post so the signalman could see it from the 'box. But it was not great for sighting by drivers as it was on the inside of a curve and obscured by a cutting side.

So sometime in the 1940's it was moved to the wrong side and placed on a normal height post. This made it easier to see by both drivers and the signalmen. So my conclusion is that you can have it eitherside since wrongsided signals seem to have been used by GWR when it helped. No doubt the signallers on RMweb will no much more. @5BarVT and @The Stationmasterare experts on stuff like this.

regards

Andy

Edited by Andy Keane
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Andy, unfortunately I think I'll have to apply another large dollop of modeller's licence, and leave the left hand arm unlit.  That's why I was thinking about bodging together two Dapol signals, but they're a touch expensive for experimenting on!

I future I might look into getting some fibre optic and see what more can be done.

• RMweb Gold

Taking a short break from work, and having a play with the phone camera again.  Thanks to @Harlequin and @DRoe96 for their guidance.  I think this pic is a little better than previous, but still need to do some more fiddling about!  Or indeed, firtling...  There's a band across the picture - where the swans are - that the algorithm didn't seem to like.

6385.jpeg.c6ee73d6c952f191584bb8d52fedda55.jpeg

• Like 9

2 hours ago, Graham T said:

Taking a short break from work, and having a play with the phone camera again.  Thanks to @Harlequin and @DRoe96 for their guidance.  I think this pic is a little better than previous, but still need to do some more fiddling about!  Or indeed, firtling...  There's a band across the picture - where the swans are - that the algorithm didn't seem to like.

6385.jpeg.c6ee73d6c952f191584bb8d52fedda55.jpeg

Looks good Graham! Shame about the mid-ground blur, maybe a couple more images in the layering would help get that spot in focus?

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Try Affinity Photo. You can get a free trial version to play with for a few days. It's a very good British made program, rivalling Photoshop, and £47.99 for an old fashioned license - no yearly subscription.

In Affinity Photo the workflow is: click "New Focus Stack", <Add your images>, click OK.

Edited by Harlequin
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold

I've also done a little bit more to the bracket signal.  Needs some paint now before fixing everything together.

IMG20220421190047.jpg.87197ab66c57efd585d390a4125c21fd.jpg

Edited by Graham T
  • Like 6
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

• RMweb Gold
2 minutes ago, Graham T said:

Here's the same batch of photos run through Affinity.  Not sure that I can see a great deal of difference to be honest...

2004329354_6385-Affinity-focusmerge.jpg.c7cd693b26980895b299370a6f315392.jpg

Like @DRoe96 said, then: More images, at more focal depths needed. (That's where it really helps if your phone/camera can just take a load of images at varying focal lengths automatically.)

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
2 minutes ago, Harlequin said:

Like @DRoe96 said, then: More images, at more focal depths needed. (That's where it really helps if your phone/camera can just take a load of images at varying focal lengths automatically.)

Yes, that will be the next step for sure.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 3

Loving the photography Graham! Layout is progressing nicely and scenic work is phenomenal.

As for image stacking, I use my iPhone and Photoshop but most software does the same thing. The more photos you take, the easier it is for the software to create an image completely in focus. Most of my photos are at least 2 photos but some are made up for 6-10 images!

Hopefully that’ll help eliminate the band in the middle of your last photo!

Happy modelling & photography!

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

I'm still struggling to get to grips with the stacking software, so decided it was time for a change of focus (ahah).  So, here's a pic of one of the latest toys.  I know it's really a bit late for Chuffnell R, but they are loving looking coaches in my humble opinion, so Rule 1 has been invoked (again).  The pine trees in the background our from MBR, and very nice they are too.  They'll be somewhere along the rear of the station boundary, eventually.

IMG20220423122557.jpg.a8c42f1fb65d3ad835c2f535344b6487.jpg

• Like 9

• RMweb Gold

And the immobile Mogul again.  The only thing that seems to move in this scene is the swans... (And the dust).

I suppose it might be immobile because it hasn't got a crew yet?

IMG20220423120748.jpg.ba0f1d28833507d9f1ea3c0b6b61390d.jpg

• Like 7

• RMweb Gold

And I've actually squeezed in a little bit of model-making, as well as just buying new toys.  Some more progress on the bracket signal.  The white stripe still needs firtling, and I won't add the guard rails until it's mounted on the signal post.  The lenses have Krystal Kleer in them; once it's fully dried I'll try to tint them red and blue...

IMG20220423150921.jpg.24e6775ddcaf107aadcd18ef20abcd72.jpg

• Like 7
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Gold

A little more pottering has been indulged in over the weekend.  First victim was the farmer's old cart, which has finally had its iron side bands - or whatever they're called - treated to some paint.

IMG20220424131019.jpg.bbeb542760b9bdf75f4499320f37fd40.jpg

And in a decidedly more tricky operation, the new signal bracket has been successfully grafted onto its home...

IMG20220424173449.jpg.5e761ca180654552f40e18988cb62e97.jpg

I'll add some handrails from styrene rod, and then try it in place on the layout.  You might see that I've added balance weights to the Dapol signal dolls.  They should probably have been on the front of the posts, as per the newly added signal, but then they would have interfered with the Dapol guardrails, and I really didn't fancy messing about with trying to modify those.

I did find some .75mm fibre optic cable on the interwebs, so that could, in theory, be added to the unlit signal, by running a cable up the side of the post that isn't visible from the normal viewing position.  But I think that particular project can wait for another day, as I'm fairly sure it won't be anywhere near as simple as it appears to be!

• Like 8
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Premium
11 minutes ago, Graham T said:

A little more pottering has been indulged in over the weekend.  First victim was the farmer's old cart, which has finally had its iron side bands - or whatever they're called - treated to some paint.

IMG20220424131019.jpg.bbeb542760b9bdf75f4499320f37fd40.jpg

And in a decidedly more tricky operation, the new signal bracket has been successfully grafted onto its home...

IMG20220424173449.jpg.5e761ca180654552f40e18988cb62e97.jpg

I'll add some handrails from styrene rod, and then try it in place on the layout.  You might see that I've added balance weights to the Dapol signal dolls.  They should probably have been on the front of the posts, as per the newly added signal, but then they would have interfered with the Dapol guardrails, and I really didn't fancy messing about with trying to modify those.

I did find some .75mm fibre optic cable on the interwebs, so that could, in theory, be added to the unlit signal, by running a cable up the side of the post that isn't visible from the normal viewing position.  But I think that particular project can wait for another day, as I'm fairly sure it won't be anywhere near as simple as it appears to be!

Graham, I think this signal has come out really well. If you do want a lamp adding it via fibre optic sounds very tricky - clearly Dapol use tiny LEDs in the lamps and then run thin wires up the hollow post. Maybe you could add a similar tiny LED and piggy back its supply from the Dapol supply to the centre lamp?

• Thanks 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

• RMweb Gold
26 minutes ago, Andy Keane said:

Graham, I think this signal has come out really well. If you do want a lamp adding it via fibre optic sounds very tricky - clearly Dapol use tiny LEDs in the lamps and then run thin wires up the hollow post. Maybe you could add a similar tiny LED and piggy back its supply from the Dapol supply to the centre lamp?

Thanks Andy, I'm reasonably pleased with how it's turned out so far.  I did consider your suggestion for powering the new lamp, but I'm not confident that I could open up the Dapol post without making a complete dog's dinner of it, so I think it will stay unlit for now.

• Like 1