Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Chuffnell Regis

Graham T

• RMweb Gold

The run of post and wire fencing is now in place.  I really can't seem to get to grips with this stuff!

I'll add a little more hedgery at the end closest to the camera, so there's less of an abrupt break between the hedge and the start of the fencing; and perhaps add a little more weeds around the fence posts.  Although I'm not sure about the latter, I think there might be enough already?

IMG20220828150040.jpg.a5c4bfa5f1a1c59deaba1641f07282e3.jpg

• Like 12

3 hours ago, Graham T said:

The run of post and wire fencing is now in place.  I really can't seem to get to grips with this stuff!

I'll add a little more hedgery at the end closest to the camera, so there's less of an abrupt break between the hedge and the start of the fencing; and perhaps add a little more weeds around the fence posts.  Although I'm not sure about the latter, I think there might be enough already?

IMG20220828150040.jpg.a5c4bfa5f1a1c59deaba1641f07282e3.jpg

Coming on nicely Graham.  I struggled with the Scale Model Scenery fencing - a real sod to keep taut.  I ended up masking the more saggy bits with undergrowth/brambles.   At least your wire is not the original shiny stuff supplied with the kit. 

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
23 minutes ago, Gopher said:

Coming on nicely Graham.  I struggled with the Scale Model Scenery fencing - a real sod to keep taut.  I ended up masking the more saggy bits with undergrowth/brambles.   At least your wire is not the original shiny stuff supplied with the kit. 

Graham is using ratio fencing and I think the issue is you have to glue the wire to each post. I am trying SMS stuff but with fishing line and only gluing the lines at the two ends where I am putting tensioning diagonals.

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
31 minutes ago, Gopher said:

I used fishing line, which is much easier to paint.  And (a little bit) easier to keep taut...

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
7 minutes ago, Andy Keane said:

Graham is using ratio fencing and I think the issue is you have to glue the wire to each post. I am trying SMS stuff but with fishing line and only gluing the lines at the two ends where I am putting tensioning diagonals.

And there is the answer to the problem I think Andy!  Sounds to me like you might have cracked it.  I'll be very interested to see your results!

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
33 minutes ago, Graham T said:

And there is the answer to the problem I think Andy!  Sounds to me like you might have cracked it.  I'll be very interested to see your results!

I am experimenting on the club layout (ssh!) - I will report back on Wednesday after its installed.

• Like 1
  • Round of applause 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

A slightly easier bit of fencing has been dealt with at the other end of the station.  I may weather the goods yard gate just a little, and need a little bit of fencing to fill in between one of the yard gateposts and the car park fence.  I've also added a "No Trespassing" sign outside the yard gate, although you'd need the eyes of a superhuman to be able to read it!

Not sure if I've gone overboard with the advertising signs, but in many of the photos I've seen of GWR branch lines every available inch of space at the stations seemed to be covered in them...

IMG20220828215939.jpg.2ed12870ec972d01f1c84e16ab6fbcd3.jpg

IMG20220828215930.jpg.59191515ea8c49b27e5cce2c76d4b803.jpg

Getting perilously close to needing to start work on the station building soon...

• Like 14
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Premium
3 minutes ago, Graham T said:

Nope, still can't read it!

300122233_Screenshot2022-08-28at22_13_44.png.60a1389d5f8036804d2b27572abe2bc3.png

Really nice work. And yes I agree GWR stations seemed to have been plastered in posters. Though maybe some would be a bit tatty. Whose posters and signs are you using?

• Like 3

The small items really do bring things to life.

The enamel signs are reminding me that I really should get back to the layout, instead of messing around with locos.

But I can't blame you entirely for that!😀

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
35 minutes ago, Andy Keane said:

Really nice work. And yes I agree GWR stations seemed to have been plastered in posters. Though maybe some would be a bit tatty. Whose posters and signs are you using?

These are from Sankey Scenics.  They're enamel signs, and so I'm guessing wouldn't have looked very tatty?

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
13 minutes ago, MrWolf said:

The small items really do bring things to life.

The enamel signs are reminding me that I really should get back to the layout, instead of messing around with locos.

But I can't blame you entirely for that!😀

Cheers.  No problem messing about with locos though, it's being able to switch around between different areas that helps to keep my interest, I find.

I'll probably start fiddling about with something completely different tomorrow!

• RMweb Premium

Please be forewarned about Coopercraft Graham. Many people have made online purchases and not received their purchases.

For while there, things all looked rosy when the company started buying up tooling for other ranges such as the Ian Kirk LNER and Mailcoach coaches. Things all went dark except the website and the hobby has sadly lost many great kits!  

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

15 minutes ago, Sasquatch said:

Please be forewarned about Coopercraft Graham. Many people have made online purchases and not received their purchases.

For while there, things all looked rosy when the company started buying up tooling for other ranges such as the Ian Kirk LNER and Mailcoach coaches. Things all went dark except the website and the hobby has sadly lost many great kits!  

I only buy them secondhand.

In the very first post of my own thread I said I was surprised how much in the way of kits and detail parts seemed to be no longer available for one reason or another.

40 minutes ago, Graham T said:

Cheers.  No problem messing about with locos though, it's being able to switch around between different areas that helps to keep my interest, I find.

I'll probably start fiddling about with something completely different tomorrow!

I also find it helps to have a few very different projects for the layout on the go, just not too many!

• Agree 3

• RMweb Gold
30 minutes ago, Sasquatch said:

Thanks for the heads up, but I was aware of the horror stories 🙂

I tried some non-commital enquiries through the website, got nowhere, and walked away.  A shame because, as I think we all agree, Cooper Craft made some really good stuff.

• Agree 4

It's either this one:

241.jpg.77fc764fc6855c5c98bd8b7eee28c66f.jpg

Or this one:

277.jpg.825f9ea91fcf4c6c2b6ead90a110a338.jpg

Pictures: Railwayana Auctions.

There's a cast iron version of the top one I believe.

This is the second version in situ outside a crossing keeper's house, I have borrowed the Idea for my own model.

956422756_ModelRail-GreatWesternRailNotice-ChrisLeigh.jpeg.d480f7b4dde75646809c8443475113f0.jpeg

Pic: Model Rail.

• Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 2

13 hours ago, Andy Keane said:

Ah O.K.  I've found the Ratio fencing easier to install, although I like the pre-drilled Scale Model Scenery posts.  I think fishing line must be the best option with the methodology you suggest

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
8 hours ago, MrWolf said:

It's either this one:

241.jpg.77fc764fc6855c5c98bd8b7eee28c66f.jpg

Or this one:

277.jpg.825f9ea91fcf4c6c2b6ead90a110a338.jpg

Pictures: Railwayana Auctions.

There's a cast iron version of the top one I believe.

This is the second version in situ outside a crossing keeper's house, I have borrowed the Idea for my own model.

956422756_ModelRail-GreatWesternRailNotice-ChrisLeigh.jpeg.d480f7b4dde75646809c8443475113f0.jpeg

Pic: Model Rail.

Thanks Rob, I think mine is probably the top one.  Couldn't even read most of it with a magnifying glass though!