Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Chuffnell Regis

Graham T

• RMweb Gold

I've also done a little work on small Prairie 5513.  The GWR has been removed from the tanks, to be replaced with Great Western.  I used a fibreglass pencil and unfortunately a little of the green paint also came away, showing the black plastic underneath, so it's had a couple of very thin coats of Railmatch loco green.  I'm not 100% happy with how that matches the paint on the boiler, so may have to go over that as well - or maybe just try to camouflage it all with some weathering?

Not much detail still to add - just some lamp irons on the other side, and brass plates.  She will become 5521 - I've a bit of a soft spot for preserved locos 🙂

IMG_2245.jpeg.0154edb0ec7c5ef4b5d999c0a827f621.jpeg

• Like 9

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Graham T said:

I've now got the Pressfix transfers onto one side of the Siphon.  The other will have to wait a little while, as there are only so many of those tiny little individual numbers that I can face tackling in one session...  Once both sides are done I'll give it a coat of matt varnish before I do any weathering, as the chocolate brown paint doesn't seem to be adhering all that well; taking the carrier paper off from the transfers scraped it here and there.

Strange what you say about paint adhering. The last 2 locos I painted had 2 coats of etch primer, a couple of surface prep - one I surfaced prepped first, the other had etch first, then a couple of coats of matt. Even handling the locos fetches the paint off.

• Friendly/supportive 3

I etch primed the (new old stock) front mudguard on one of my motorcycles and went straight over it with the gloss black, that too is now falling off. The rear mudguard had been welded and bashed back into shape, before being etch primed, filled, three coats of primer and three of black and despite being battered by everything from stones and mud to hot oil, not a scratch.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
14 hours ago, Rowsley17D said:

Strange what you say about paint adhering. The last 2 locos I painted had 2 coats of etch primer, a couple of surface prep - one I surfaced prepped first, the other had etch first, then a couple of coats of matt. Even handling the locos fetches the paint off.

9 hours ago, MrWolf said:

I etch primed the (new old stock) front mudguard on one of my motorcycles and went straight over it with the gloss black, that too is now falling off. The rear mudguard had been welded and bashed back into shape, before being etch primed, filled, three coats of primer and three of black and despite being battered by everything from stones and mud to hot oil, not a scratch.

A worldwide conspiracy perhaps?  Or maybe just down to all the variables that can affect painting?  Humidity, temperature, surface qualities, and so on.  I had put a couple of coats of mid-grey car primer onto the Siphon (which had started life in Lima's version of BR blue), and then two brush coats of Vallejo chocolate brown.  Eyebrows were raised when the cocktail stick I was using to help with the Pressfix transfers left streaks of grey primer showing through...

• Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Gold

I didn't have much modelling time today, but did get some green paint onto the rest of (the former) 5513, and also a coat of clear varnish onto the tanks, in readiness for transfers - perhaps I will do those tomorrow, or on Sunday.  I say the former 5513, because I also used the gloss varnish to fix the new number plates.  So she has now been re-programmed to 5521.  I even remembered to take all the other locos off the layout first 🙂  I must also remember to build a programming track into Chuffnell Regis Mk II...

IMG_2252.jpeg.2718358d748e6d05a645b78d05dc68f9.jpeg

As well as the transfers she also needs all the black areas painting in a mix of black and leather brown, and then some subtle weathering.

I also finished the transfers on the other side of the Siphon, and it's now had a coat of matt varnish.  Hopefully the paint will stay on now!  I'm quite pleased with the ex-works finish, it almost seems a shame to weather it.  The van still needs the buffers to be replaced as well, as you can probably see.

IMG_2255.jpeg.c165ffece21851432085c542409e2aa5.jpeg

• Like 18

• RMweb Gold

Hi Graham,

Here's the pond in the field near me that I mentioned a while back:

IMG_20230528_115207_01r.jpg.b80b12081bc3c5e4adcaccc5038a5d8e.jpg

Bit late to help with your pond but still, it's a nice little scene (even with the turbines in the background).

• Like 6
  • Friendly/supportive 1

On 26/05/2023 at 20:38, Graham T said:

I didn't have much modelling time today, but...

Pfffft, over-achiever! 

The Small Prairies are pretty much the only thing which still make me question my choice of model setting. Yum :)

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Harlequin said:

Hi Graham,

Here's the pond in the field near me that I mentioned a while back:

IMG_20230528_115207_01r.jpg.b80b12081bc3c5e4adcaccc5038a5d8e.jpg

Bit late to help with your pond but still, it's a nice little scene (even with the turbines in the background).

Thanks Phil - I think I need to make some more trees!

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
36 minutes ago, Schooner said:

Pfffft, over-achiever! 

The Small Prairies are pretty much the only thing which still make me question my choice of model setting. Yum :)

I have a pair of them; I think they're very nicely balanced looking locos.  The latest one under the surgeon's knife has had some extra lamp irons added, the transfers on the tanks, and a coat of matt varnish.  Unfortunately I think there is still some silvering showing behind one of the transfers; will have to decide whether to replace it, or try to hide it with some judicious weathering!

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
On 26/05/2023 at 20:38, Graham T said:

I didn't have much modelling time today, but…..

👍

The speed of your modelling (without having a negative effect on the quality) definitely puts me to shame

I’m a one step forward two steps back kinda guy with plenty of procrastination in between 🤪

• Like 2
  • Round of applause 2
  • Friendly/supportive 2

3 hours ago, chuffinghell said:

👍

The speed of your modelling (without having a negative effect on the quality) definitely puts me to shame

I’m a one step forward two steps back kinda guy with plenty of procrastination in between 🤪

Not many of us are designing and producing a range of obscure wagons and locos alongside building a layout though!😎

• Agree 3

• RMweb Gold

Absolutely.  I struggle enough with an ordinary printer (it has come within an inch of being thrown from the window on many an occasion), never mind a 3D version...

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

I had another battle with the airbrush today.  I guess that I should use it more, so that I become more familiar with the beast and thus - hopefully - a tad more proficient with it.  Anyway, since I had it out I thought I might as well make all the clean-up and other associated hassle worthwhile, and so I sprayed roof dirt onto the Siphon G, a couple of Toads, and my two LMS suburban coaches.  I tried to avoid spraying too much over the part of the roof below the rain strip on the Siphon, but failed pretty dismally, as you can see...

I've also gone over the woodwork with a Mig dark wash; it's still a bit damp in the pic, but will (should!) dry flat.

IMG_2262.jpeg.f7cfe4f1983d2557259dc0a580d0c290.jpeg

Next job will be to spray some frame dirt over the chassis.  That will be a batch job too, including the other pair of Siphons.

• Like 9
  • Round of applause 2

• RMweb Gold

Staying with the production line ethos, 5521 also got a dose of Mig dark wash over all of the green paintwork.  I left it to dry a bit longer this time, and then buffed it with cotton buds after.  That gave quite a nice, almost metallic-looking effect, that the camera hasn't really captured unfortunately.  I haven't yet painted the black areas, as I found previously that the Mig wash could wick onto the semi-black paint, making it look shiny, which wasn't what I was trying to achieve.

IMG_2267.jpeg.5b535a445e376102074e9ce8c3ea2b84.jpeg

There's still a little bit of silvering behind one of the Great Western transfers, as you can see, but thats pretty much invisible from the infamous normal viewing distance, so I will probably leave that alone...

• Like 10

• RMweb Gold

And another batch airbrushed with frame dirt.  I'm reasonably happy with how the Siphons have turned out; perhaps I should have weathered the corridor connections a bit more?

IMG_2275.jpeg.9025ec31b4b8655fff44479b843b2059.jpeg

Closely followed by a brace/pair/what is the collective noun for Toads?

IMG_2269.jpeg.506a65eb5fca0b8d15e0206d121d0599.jpeg

And lastly one end of the pair of LMS suburban coaches.  I'm pleased with how these have turned out.

IMG_2273.jpeg.c29b7af42c989522c84683400430f730.jpeg

• Like 16
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3

• RMweb Gold
35 minutes ago, Graham T said:

Closely followed by a brace/pair/what is the collective noun for Toads?

IMG_2269.jpeg.506a65eb5fca0b8d15e0206d121d0599.jpeg

Army. Knot.

Edited by Rowsley17D
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold
10 minutes ago, Neal Ball said:

Apparently thats Frogs - Toads are a Knot - doesn't sound quite the same!

https://www.centralpark.com/things-to-do/central-park-zoo/amphibians/#:~:text=A group of toads is called a 'knot.'

Quite right, didn't look far enough. Corrected now.

• Friendly/supportive 2

1 hour ago, Pete Haitch said:

I wonder how else the followers of this forum would interpret the suggestion to build a new model army.

I think that I've still got some of their records...

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Pete Haitch said:

I wonder how else the followers of this forum would interpret the suggestion to build a new model army.

Gary Numan worked in the Export department when I worked in accounts at Heathrow airport... He left shortly after I joined as his first song had just been released.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, MrWolf said:

I think that I've still got some of their records...

I know I have, Vengeance is still on my turnable from the weekend.

• Like 2
  • Round of applause 1