Chuffnell Regis

Graham T

• RMweb Premium
1 minute ago, Graham T said:

Well the dark clouds are still lingering over Chuffnell R, but I did manage to make a little bit of progress today.  With thanks to Accurascale, I now have the replacement sound decoder for Cookham Manor.  It's taken a long time to get here, as DHL got their grubby paws on it once it arrived in Austria, and made all sorts of trouble about actually delivering it.  And whacked a sizeable fee onto it as well, despite the package being clearly identified as a warranty replacement.  Once again, kudos to Accurascale who were very patient in sorting out DHL for me, and also rather graciously offered to cover the fees.  Good service I'd say.

Anyway, I also managed to get hold of a few of the last crew figures from Hardy's (a shame they will no longer be available), so painted a couple and fitted to them to the footplate whilst I had the loco and tender separated to replace the decoder.  I was a bit wary of doing some damage whilst separating the loco and tender, but thankfully all went well and the loco now runs with sound again.  I even managed to get a snap with the firebox glow running.  She still needs some real coal and fire irons adding to the tender, and then perhaps just a very light touch of weathering.

IMG_3391.jpeg.dbe3f31d898debc12b3315653a2d319e.jpeg

Good to see your MoJo is returning Graham.

Is the sound any better? I’ve still got a month before I collect my replacement decoder… I also have a larger speaker to fit… hopefully I’ll get more Oomph from it!

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
17 minutes ago, Neal Ball said:

Good to see your MoJo is returning Graham.

Is the sound any better? I’ve still got a month before I collect my replacement decoder… I also have a larger speaker to fit… hopefully I’ll get more Oomph from it!

The sound seems to be fine, thanks Neal.  Far from deafening, but loud enough for my tastes.  I may try to get a video of it tomorrow.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, MrWolf said:

It's doing better than my diesel railcar, which is still in the middle of an axle swap!

You could use your Pacer as a bus replacement service . . . .🤔

• Funny 3

1 hour ago, Fishplate said:

You could use your Pacer as a bus replacement service . . . .🤔

I've got some of the large Dinky tyres that would probably fit. 

It can't possibly look any more ridiculous...

• Like 1

The Mojo is a funny thing - I did little modelling all summer - I'm building a loco kit that's fighting me a bit and it stopped being enjoyable. Recently I've worked on a couple of other things instead and feel much better. That loco will get finished when I'm up to it!

Perhaps it is thoughts of Mk. 2 that are dampening your ardour? You speak of it quite a lot so perhaps it is where your heart is now? (!). 

The layout looks lovely though and it would be a shame to scrap it so quickly. 

• Like 2
  • Agree 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
5 minutes ago, Barclay said:

I could not agree more - CR1 is a thing of rare beauty. I often look at your pictures and strive after the same results. 

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Barclay said:

The Mojo is a funny thing - I did little modelling all summer - I'm building a loco kit that's fighting me a bit and it stopped being enjoyable. Recently I've worked on a couple of other things instead and feel much better. That loco will get finished when I'm up to it!

Perhaps it is thoughts of Mk. 2 that are dampening your ardour? You speak of it quite a lot so perhaps it is where your heart is now? (!). 

Thanks Stuart.  No immediate plans to scrap the layout, I think I'll keep it at least until CR Mk II gets to the stage where I can run some trains on it.  And I'd like to recycle as many of the buildings as I can.  

But the hammering of the mojo has more been caused by real life events, which I won't bore you with here.  Suffice to say, I need to find something to snap myself out of my current mood, but it's proving to be elusive.

1 hour ago, Andy Keane said:

I could not agree more - CR1 is a thing of rare beauty. I often look at your pictures and strive after the same results. 

That's very kind of you Andy, thanks.  I think your model of Helston will be a cracker!  The buildings look great.

• Friendly/supportive 12

• RMweb Gold

I forgot to mention that one of the main problems with the current Chuffnell Regis is that I made such a hash of the track-laying, which takes much of the joy out of it of course.  It's the first layout I've built and I was nowhere near patient enough with the track, just bashed on with it as quickly as I could, and also made a number of errors with the wiring.  The upshot is that I don't think it will ever really run satisfactorily without pretty much all of the track being lifted, re-laid, and re-wired.  And if I'm going to do that I might as well start over from scratch, rather than trying to make the best of a bad job.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 8