Chuffnell Regis

Graham T

• RMweb Gold

So, I finally got all the drilling done for the roof vents.  The instructions called for cutting 0.5 mm wide lengths from a sheet of thin styrene, included in the kit, for the rain strips.  But this proved to be beyond me.  The styrene worked okay for the water tanks, but whenever I tried to cut such thin strips they just curled up like springs, and were unusable.  The nearest I had was some 0.75 mm strip, so I've tried using that, and then sanding it down afterwards, but I think it's still overscale.  

I've got some 0.5 mm strip on order, so I think I'll remove the existing ones and replace them.

IMG_3530.jpeg.d8a9a82d65ebde50f41c5a5c85348e50.jpeg

IMG_3531.jpeg.b9b6e31265e4afc099f38af998a1515c.jpeg

The roof isn't fixed in place yet, of course.

• Like 11

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Graham T said:

So, I finally got all the drilling done for the roof vents.  The instructions called for cutting 0.5 mm wide lengths from a sheet of thin styrene, included in the kit, for the rain strips.  But this proved to be beyond me.  The styrene worked okay for the water tanks, but whenever I tried to cut such thin strips they just curled up like springs, and were unusable.  The nearest I had was some 0.75 mm strip, so I've tried using that, and then sanding it down afterwards, but I think it's still overscale.  

I've got some 0.5 mm strip on order, so I think I'll remove the existing ones and replace them.

IMG_3530.jpeg.d8a9a82d65ebde50f41c5a5c85348e50.jpeg

IMG_3531.jpeg.b9b6e31265e4afc099f38af998a1515c.jpeg

The roof isn't fixed in place yet, of course.

Given everything else is pre painted. I would start on spraying the roof next before you fix it into place….

Primer and final coat.

• Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
12 hours ago, Neal Ball said:

I would use pre cut micro strip Graham!

Looking good so far

Yes, I have some on order.  Maybe paint some passengers while I'm waiting...

12 hours ago, Neal Ball said:

Given everything else is pre painted. I would start on spraying the roof next before you fix it into place….

Primer and final coat.

That was indeed the plan.  Just hoping that I can persuade some paint to stick to the aluminium roof!

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Graham T said:

That was indeed the plan.  Just hoping that I can persuade some paint to stick to the aluminium roof!

You should be able to get an aerosol of etch primer from a motor spares or DIY shop.

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
3 minutes ago, Graham T said:

Great, thanks.  I'll see if I can get some at the local version of B&Q.

I got my can in Halfords, so I guess if your B&Q type place doesn't have it, try a motor factors / car shop 👍

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Tim Dubya said:

Do you do any surface prep on the aluminium first or just clean and paint?

Cheers

I've always found it beneficial to degrease aluminium and give it a light key using a scotchbrite pad or similar, even when using etch primer.

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
3 minutes ago, MrWolf said:

I've always found it beneficial to degrease aluminium and give it a light key using a scotchbrite pad or similar, even when using etch primer.

Cheers, that's what I was after 👍 

I thought it might, as I guess you have to remove the oxidation and abride slightly before anything will stick proper.

Edited by Tim Dubya
Not a bong

8 hours ago, Graham T said:

It just occurred to me - is it ok to use etch primer on styrene?  Although the roof is aluminium, the water tank covers and rain strips are plastic.

as someone said, the acid will be no problem. I'm less sure about any solvents as they go for PS like a rat up a drainpipe. Do a test bit to see.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
12 minutes ago, Tim Dubya said:

Cheers, that's what I was after 👍 

I thought it might, as I guess you have to remove the oxidation and abride slightly before anything will stick proper.

Yes

a wash in soap to get rid of any flux, then a very light sand with wet and dry.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
14 hours ago, Tim Dubya said:

I got my can in Halfords, so I guess if your B&Q type place doesn't have it, try a motor factors / car shop 👍

They have an auto section so hopefully will stock some.

And thanks to everyone for all the inputs - really useful!

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

See how it goes - it may be a tape would allow the gentle curve to lie flat while the strip will be more troublesome to get an even shape in.

As with buildings, the roof of a coach on our layouts is way more noticeable than every other bit of the model of course.

• Like 2