Can anyone tell me more about this GN Vent Van I built...

- 30 or more years ago? White metal kit, probably Wills, why are the torpedo vents like they are on the roof, just 2 diagonally? I can't remember! Should that be 4 or 6? Other details, has vacuum actuated clasp brakes but I seem to have used 12mm 8 spoke wheels, would that be correct? Note the 4 verticals on the end, a GN feature, and that its lettered 6 tons with a 7-11 tare.

Its sits on a 10' wheelbase and is quite a big van so it stands next to an MR D.364 vent van for comparison.

So is this real, when was the prototype built, how many, what sort of traffic would it be used for? It'll be running into a MR station in the northwest pre-WW1.

Any advice will be much appreciated, its heavy but a good runner, even after all this time.

GN_vent_van.jpg

Edited by MR Chuffer

Measure the body. It should come out at 72mm.

It looks to me like a standard 18' GN covered wagon, later LNER code 4081 with sliding doors (sliding to the right) and vacuum braked. 

They seem in the pictures to have two roof vents on the same side (and, I would guess, 2 on the other side), not diagonal.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

9 minutes ago, Edwardian said:

It should come out at 72mm

Yep, it does, so something to go on.

The roof is stiff card, that's how old it is, so easy enough to refashion the roof for 4 ventilators.

Thx

BTW, the wheelbase should actually be 9' 10'', not 10'.

They were originally fitted with 3' 6'' Mansell wheels. At some point they apparently gained 3' spoked wheels (which is what you have). I don't know when, but I have not seen a pre-LNER picture with the replacement wheels, so you might want to swop for Mansells.

21 minutes ago, Edwardian said:

Mansell wheels

That's what I thought, if they were vacuum fitted and it has longer springs associated with NPCS vehicles, so will revert them but will have to prise the white metal brake shoes wider. And you're probably right, there may be a 2 inch discrepancy in my measurement.

But diagonal vents, I've just found this, although it is a GN model and there are 6 vents in total, 2nd photo down. Hmmm...

For completeness, further investigation of this site shows he's referenced Tatlow's LNER Wagons Vol 1, which I haven't got access to, but its open on a page with a van with 6 vents with 2 diagonal, like his model.

Edited by MR Chuffer
Additional
  • Like 1

Yes, but that's a different wagon entirely; it's an 8 ton 19' wagon with 2 end stanchions

Yours is a 6-ton 18' wagon with 4 end stanchions.

And, yes, the pictures of the 19' vans confirm they had a row of 3 vents each side.

With your wagon, checking Tatlow, I see that he notes 2 roof vents, but the pictures show 2 vents on the visible side (not 2 diagonally) and I would be surprised if they're weren't 2 each side.  Nor does it look to me like 2 vents only, placed on the centre line.

If you are having prototype couplings, you'd need screw-links, and there should be foot boards below the doors, at about axle height.    

EDIT: Again, there seem to be variations in roof vents, with Tatlow's text and pictures not always seeming to agree on the subject of the 19; wagons. But ignore these, they're the wrong ones anyway.

Edited by Edwardian
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Edwardian said:

different wagon entirely

Agree, its just that the 2 middle vents in the photo appear offset amongst the 6, which offends my sense of symmetry, just as it does on my model.

I use tension lock couplings but would have taken on board screw links for passenger train running. Now the footboards, I can believe that but they may have to wait pending a better drawing/photo but a roof replacement, new vents and replacement Mansell wheels are first up. 

Thx

2 minutes ago, MR Chuffer said:

Agree, its just that the 2 middle vents in the photo appear offset amongst the 6, which offends my sense of symmetry, just as it does on my model.

I use tension lock couplings but would have taken on board screw links for passenger train running. Now the footboards, I can believe that but they may have to wait pending a better drawing/photo but a roof replacement, new vents and replacement Mansell wheels are first up. 

Thx

I see that, see my edit while you were posting.

I don't think I'm seeing either vents on the centre line or vents mounted diagonally when I look at the picture of the 18' wagon in GN condition, and I just don't buy the idea of having 2 on one side and none of the other.

So you can judge for yourself, and get the other backdated features right, I'll get you a copy of the pic tomorrow. 

• Like 1