Roundy-roundy help required

Moonraking Red

• RMweb Gold

Decided it is time for another layout for my grandson. 

The main requirements are a two track mainline, with a Great Central style single platform station on an inner loop. All within a maximum 8ft x 4ft footprint with a central access well.

Making use of materials already in hand, the baseboards are recycled with the addition of some IKEA shelving. Trackwork will be a mix of Peco Streamline and Setrack, Insulfrog and live frog.

The design is a compromise, which brings me to the main stumbling point - the layout is DC analogue, but I have no idea how to wire it up! Where to locate power feed or isolating breaks.

As a complete novice I tried Anyrail (trial version) which helps explain my crude attachment.

In anticipation of help from any “RmWebbers”

Poulshot3.pdf

I assume its OO.  If so I think some tweaking is necessary as there are some dog legs and a 4" long turntable. see doodle

I don't see the point of the island platform on the inner loop and none on the outer, I would go for a simple double track oval with the island and goods loops each side like the GC used.

Turntable is unlikely to have entry and exits at 90 degrees as drawn.  You are pushing it to get a meaningful operating well inside the 8X4.  I would refine the concept before working on the wiring.

Screenshot (246).png

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
21 hours ago, Moonraking Red said:

As a complete novice I tried Anyrail (trial version) which helps explain my crude attachment.

Hi @Moonraking Red

I'm not convinced what you have drawn could be built or operated successfully.  If you know what you're doing and this is just a sketch then ignore the following.  However, I think you might find it helpful to use Setrack for the curves, at least in the plan, as you have ended up with some very tight spots - marked in red by Anyrail.  Setrack spacing for double track is also wider than you get from a crossover formed from Streamline points and allows trains to pass on tight curves which is probably desirable.

BTW the 'File' menu in Anyrail should allow you to export the layout as an image which is more convenient for a forum post than a pdf.

• RMweb Premium

To tell you exactly how to wire it, we'd need to know which turnouts are electrofrog ....... and to make any alternative layout suggestions we'd need to know more about the existing baseboard sizes.

But it just doesn't fit using anything but the tightest set-track geometry.  The pic (in XTrackCad) is set-track curves and points, joined using flexi straights 'cos it's quicker to do.  The purple curves are 1st radius, generally thought of as a no-no for most modern locos.  The other curves are 2nd radius, except the outer circuit which is 3rd - you would win about 5 extra inches for the platform roads if you used 1st and 2nd radius for the "main lines" in the top corners, instead of 2nd and 3rd.  Any use of Streamline points with their much gentler radii will blow the geometry to bits, as will putting any more points on the curves.  I know it's not exactly what you drew, particularly immediately to the left of the station, but it does replicate possible operations.  And it does keep tracks far enough apart round the corners to avoid collisions.

1375662896_MRRedgif.gif.b4f3c8023935e5405f92b56e6eaeb95e.gif

Sorry I can't be more positive at this stage - best of luck anyway.

Why do you want to mix insulfrog with live frog? They each have their own advantages & if you are not sure how to wire it up, using a mixture of both is not the easiest thing to do.

Your plan suggests a tunnel right next to an adjacent line which means it would be more of a box section than a tunnel under something. It would also have little room inside, which you will want because Murphy's Law says you will have a derailment.

Why is the platform not on the main running lines? It seems to be on a loop so can only serve trains in 1 direction.

The answers from all of us may have sounded negative but I only want you to avoid building something you regret & I am sure the others do too.

Starting with the tunnel: why don't you move the platform to serve the 2 outer running lines & take each into a single bore tunnel mouth. This can be placed under a hill at 1 end of the layout. Passengers will also need a way to access the platform. The GC typically had station buildings by a roadway above & access to the platforms was by a stairway. This means you will need a road over part of the station. Just in front of the tunnel seems ideal for this.

You can use slightly sharper (setrack) curves in the tunnel because they will be out of view & you will have more room to access any derailment.

Your good area is too small. Maybe this should be 3 sidings fed from the main line: 2 for goods & the 3rd for a kickback to the turntable/engine shed. The goods yard will also benefit from a headshunt where a shunter can wait to shunt trains from siding 1 to 2, releasing the loco so it can head for the shed where it can re-fill with water & coal.

In order to explain what I mean, I have been getting to grips with Anyrail.

On the left is the tunnel. This can be under a hill.

A road will need to be there to access the area, otherwise what is the point of the station or goods area? This can go top to bottom.

The bottom platform is the station. This can obviously be longer.

The top platform is for goods. A short goods service can run wrong line into the yard, maybe into the middle platform. The shunter idles in the head shunt on the right until required. The goods loco can then make its way to the turntable. Having to back from a siding compresses the operation & allows use of the space left of the turntable..

I did not draw the engine shed or rest of the running lines because I felt there was no need.

The head shunt will need to be isolated (& when there is something in the yard, the point should be switched this way so any runaways cannot get to the main line).

The front running line is very close to the board edge so a perspex screen is useful. I've had derailed models fall 3' onto the ground & my father has had worse..his layout is in a converted loft & a loco has fallen through the loft hatch before. A small screen provides protection against this.

So wiring: You can get 10 different answers for this, none of which are any less correct than each other.

Do you want to use as few connections as possible or keep it simple? I believe the two are very different concepts.

8x4.jpg

• RMweb Gold

Just like to start by saying thank you to all who have taken their time to give some thoughtful responses, and encouraged some re-planning.

This is one of those projects that uses stuff hanging about in the store cupboard or recycled. I should have noted this is 00, and geared for 'playability' for my grandson, and not prototypical really.

The operation 'must-haves' include to be able to run one train continuously, whilst the station area can be operated separately. There is a small Atlas turntable that needs to be incorporated, which I am going to try and semi-bury in the celotex of one of end boards and cobble an old Airfix kit on top. 

The board is 2340 x 1220, 2 x celotex plus Ikea Bonde shelves at 385 and 190 widths.Layout2.JPG.51c928325d1d2cd03addda236134cf9d.JPG

Having set out most of the track on the boards, I agree my original plan is a very tight fit, and probably too ambitious. With that in mind, and within my very limited Anyrail knowledge - two hours and the limitations of the trial version - I present a modified design, basically removing one of the circuits.

I have based the curves on Setrack R2 and R3, and using some Streamline where transition curves are needed. The turnouts are all Streamline. Straight joints at each baseboard join to make the layout moveable in the future. The edges will have a ply backscene all round as the layout will be viewed from the operating well.

Poulshot4a.jpg.6e20eda36c8d8969131c3c3705b4a8d7.jpg

I might add a fiddle yard off the outer circuit on an extension  at bottom left. On the opposite side the board is lower than datum to allow for a bridge and embankment.

Anyways, I am off to think about the electrics and see if I can mark up the Anyrail file. And identify the live frogs from the dead ones!

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

I agree that's more do-able, but think the platform would be better between the outermost tracks.  Like this .....

367266408_MRRedgif.gif.45a4933bd1fabf4876d291c2007e5b57.gif

I've used Streamline points, medium for the crossovers, small elsewhere, though that doesn't really matter, except the two Set-track curved ones you used (Streamline curved wouldn't fit).  But I've maintained the Set-track spacing between the main lines at the top, inserting a bit of flexi between the points on the crossovers.  The way you did it I think you'd have to be super careful to avoid clashes round the top curves ....

• Like 2