Parkside Southern/SECR parcels vans

Hello all,

I've just bought a couple of the Parkside SECR/Southern PMV & BY vans, and was wondering how to glaze them? Is there a 'flushglaze' kit from South Eastern Finecast available? If not, how have other RM Webbers glazed their kits?

Once again, as always, many thanks for all replies.

Grant

I have had some success with Microscale Micro Krystal Clear when used carefully. I think that is available in UK.

It is indeed, but looks a little strange in windows which are meant to be flat. What's wrong with simply cutting a piece of clear plastic sheet to size? If I remember rightly, there's a recess moulded into the side which gives approximately the right relief. As you can see from the photos, they're not all that flush:

http://www.gallery6801.fotopic.net/p46280135.html

Adam

It is indeed, but looks a little strange in windows which are meant to be flat. What's wrong with simply cutting a piece of clear plastic sheet to size? If I remember rightly, there's a recess moulded into the side which gives approximately the right relief. As you can see from the photos, they're not all that flush:

http://www.gallery68.../p46280135.html

Adam

I am steadily acquiring the tooling for using microscope glass. I got the idea from Richard Johnson in Oz. Anybody else tried this?

Do what Adam suggests and chop some squares of clear plastic out. Its much easier than you'd imagine and you'll get a much better effect than the SEFinecast type moulded jobbies. You can use varnish to hold them in place or some PVA [which dries clear] or even that krystal clear stuff. Maybe [never tried but] doubled sided tape inside the frame and heavily weathered on the outside. Seeing that these vans were always pretty filthy you can also cover up any terrible mistakes with some grot. I find its also best to do one side them leave for a while before doing the other.

Even windows that have a small radius in the corner can be done using this method if you chop an small triangle on the corner and once fitted its hard to spot.

good luck.

I did mine with bits of clear plastic glued into the recesses on the back of the sides, these windows are actually recessed on the prototype so flushglazing wouldnt be right anyway.

Don't forget that there are bars behind those windows on the prototype (usually invisible in photos due to the heavy layer of dirt that these vans aquired), they are easy enough to do in the construction stages but an absolute pain if you dont notice them until its finished and have to rip the thing apart! (I found out the hard way).

Jon

Guest stuartp

I did mine with bits of clear plastic glued into the recesses on the back of the sides, these windows are actually recessed on the prototype so flushglazing wouldnt be right anyway.

Same here, I'll see if I can find a pic.

• RMweb Gold

Afternoon,

I've built a fair few of these kits too. Really good kits to build as well. With a bit of detailing as well, such wire handrails and door handles they can be brought up to a more modern standard.

I've always used the ressesses in the kit, cutting the glazing to size and fixing with either PVA or Johnsons Klear.

Jon mentioned the bars behind the windows. Roxey do some nice etched ones. Link below:

http://www.roxeymouldings.co.uk/store_front/view_product.php?product=4A124.

Easy to use and add that important detail present on these PMV's.

Cheers.

Mark

• RMweb Gold

Hi,

The bars were white I think but I tend to tone mine down especially if weathering the wagon as well.

Cheers.

Mark

definitely white, as mentioned above, but usually (not) seen through windows that were so dirty as to be opaque, making them appear grey, they were metal bars so some rust may be appropriate too if youre not doing an ex works version.

it might be worth seeking out copies of 'southern railway passenger vans' by david gould and 'an illustrated history of southern coaches' by mike king (your local library will be able to get them if you dont fancy amazon or ebays prices), both books cover these vans in some detail. there are also some excellent photos on paul bartlett's wagon pics site.

Jon

Archived