BR Class 04 Liveries

I'm trying to track the history of the Class 04s that were fitted with cowcatchers and sideplates. Specifically 11100/D2200, but that's more a preference than a must. The idea is to make multiple models of one of these engines from arrival to withdrawal.

From what little I can tell from Wikipedia and google, 11100-11103 were all fitted with sideplates and cowcatchers upon construction in 1952. in 1957, they were renumbered with the D- prefix numbers (D2200-D2203). D2203 was withdrawn in 1967, and D2200-D2202 were withdrawn in 1968. I know all four started in BR Black, what I don't know is:

When did the transition to BR Green happen?

Did any of these engines stay in BR black until withdrawal?

Did they ever have their sideplates and cowcatchers removed?

Did any of these engines make it to BR Blue?

Thank you for any information you may have! I appreciate the assistance!

• RMweb Premium

Looking at a few photos in my collection:

11100    October 1959:  Plain black, early crest, no valences. 

April 1967:  D2200 Green with wasp stripes, late crest, no valences.

11101    July 1955:  Plain black, early crest, valences fitted.

September 1965:  D2201 Green with wasp stripes, early crest, valences fitted.

11102    1961:  D2202 with small D,  Plain black, late crest, valences fitted.

11103    August 1958:  Plain black, late crest, valences fitted.

• Thanks 1

Don't forget the exhaust as well. 

Originally no pipe, just a hole in the top of the body. Fairly soon fitted with a 'stovepipe' type of exhaust. Later models had the conical type, as did the 03 when first introduced. (LAter 03 had the flowerpot type). I don't think any were swopped over at any time.

There are different numerals too.

The early 'D' numbers were a small D, then a '.', followed by the number - all in steam style.

I believe the small D then gave way to a large D, maybe still with a ".", and later without the ".".

Later on the whole number ()D2201) was changed to the latterday "green diesel" type font.

I have quite a few pictures but can't look them up at the moment.

Stewart

• Like 1

'Modern Locomotives Illustrated' No 195 has colour photos of 11103 in near ex-works plain green with late crest and no side skirts on 22/5/57, D2201 in green with wasp stripes and skirts in 1964, and D2200 in blue with D2201 in green back-to-back at Crewe on 12/3/68, both were used as works shunters without skirts. D2200 looks ex-works and I seem to recall reading somewhere that it went blue in March and was withdrawn in April - if true, this must have been the shortest-lived blue-liveried BR diesel loco of all time.....??

• Informative/Useful 1