Oldie newbie to the game... class 86 and 101 questions

Hi all,

My first post so be kind, I have come back into model railways after a small break of 40 something years and its all kinda evolved a bit and playing catch up big time lol

Have patiently acquired track, rolling stock, some engines but two stick out for a query as both are first gen editions so very old and wondering what surprises etc or quirks these units require to keep them nice.

First up is the first iteration of Hornby or is it Triang's class 86, listed as in factory fresh paint and very solid built compared to later 86's, I had read somewhere that one of the brands 86's were able to operate under overhead cables and wanted to know a bit more about that plus any pitfalls to watch out for with said loco.

The second is the Triang class 101, looks to have the twin geared power bogie, apparently runs but not lively so wondered what's required to service these motors if poss?   The other thought is I back in the day and still do, dislike the excessive gaps between model coaches and the 101 had that concertina like corridor covering and would like some advice on closing up the couplings and to introduce a proper connecting cover that is able to flex with the train.   Back in the 70s and 80s I made up from bits of plastic link bars which could articulate a bit between bogies but kept the coach ends more or less connected with the coach ends almost jammed together but not quite so they could slip and slide a bit but without that massive air gap out of the box.

Looking forward to lively debates, I grew up with British Rail as my late father was a quite well known Southern Region signalman and he infused me with the love for all things BR and SR and I am a major admirer of the BR blue era with my grails to get the humble EPB, the 4 CEP, the MLV, 73 and 71, class 205, got a 33 and a 37, 08 and pannier and a little CR pug plus the 86 and 101 incoming.  Would love a Hastings but saw the wallet melting price of the kits for that one and thinking maybe do one scratch or convert Pullman slab sided coaches perhaps.

I started off with the Hornby power brick but now have a Rovex 4.5 controller which is far far superior to the simple power brick.

Cheers

Ian

17 minutes ago, Dodgydruid said:

First up is the first iteration of Hornby or is it Triang's class 86, listed as in factory fresh paint and very solid built compared to later 86's, I had read somewhere that one of the brands 86's were able to operate under overhead cables and wanted to know a bit more about that plus any pitfalls to watch out for with said loco.

Triang made a class 81, Hornby a class 86. The class 81's front was sloped but the 86 had a flat front below the windows.

Hornby's 86 had flexicoil suspension; 3 large springs between body either side of the bogie.

The class 86 had a sliding switch in the roof to select overhead or rail current collection.

I am less familiar with the class 81.