RMweb

Help needed on DCC conversion of a double slip SL-E790BH

Simon Curnock

Hi, looking for help on what I need to do bare minimum to fit this double slip into my railway which will be DCC controlled. I’m not going to fit any point motors so just need to know if I need to fit insulated rail joiners, do I need to do any mods to the underneath??? I’m not at all technically minded on this but wish to run power to the slip so I’m not relying on the point blades to run power through it.   Anyway help in a simple easy to understand way would be hugely appreciated 

7B8E70D3-D3A2-44EB-8B33-F47A33594BCA.jpeg

Hi,I've got one of these,I'll scan the Peco instruction and pm you with it.It's in the shed somewhere though,so i'll have a quick look tomorrow and find it.

Cheers

Phil

59 minutes ago, Barnaby said:

Hello this is my ref sheet>>> 

D_Slip.pdf 380.89 kB · 11 downloads

Many thanks for this. It seems really clear but my issue is I just don’t understand it.  Am I right in saying you attach the + and - power feed to the outside rails in the middle section as a start? Then do I need insulated joiners and if so on every rail end or just the two inner rails? Then as I am not fitting point motors is there anything else I must do?

Just read the article I linked, and it suggests exactly what I would do if I were writing a slip, that is, power the two stock rails and switch each of the frogs based on the position of the blades at the other end.

if you do not have point motors, you have to either not use live frogs, or arrange an electrical switch to correctly polarise the frogs.  This needs to be linked to the tie bar, as if it is not, you’ll run across it wrong and short out.  A short will switch off your DCC booster.

there is another alternative, which will work on DCC only (not analog), a “frog juicer”.  These are foolproof, but expensive.