Help with Counting

OK, there are some sage people on here- how do I manage the following:

Input (single). To be a telgraph key.

I want to count how many strokes are hit in ~10 sec. I can manage the reset part, no problem. But, I can't figure out how to get any sort of way to get the !@#!@#@ flagmen to increment up or down. I've tried flagmen & switches- I know there must be something that my addled brain is missing.

I don't care if I have to have 2 (or more) flagmen for each "number". That's fine- not like there is a finite number of them in the system. But, I can't figure out how to get the nth (more than 2nd) one to go live on the more than 2nd beat...

TTG or Beast, ever do this?

(I thought I'd ask here rather than Friedwald first- that's the next step).

James

Got it. Oh, this is so like programming PLC's in school- there are some very frustrating parts of it.

To count:

Flagman and Toggle Switch required.

Use a seperate Flagman ® (note, not toggle) to reset count.

Use Flagman (M) as the increment measure.

1 Flagman Toggle

2 Flagman Toggle

3 Flagman Toggle

ect

Flagman ® is set high by Flagman(M). Starts timer. (or, in my case, flagman(T) is started, to reset flagman R- because I need to be able to clear the saved # before the timer expires...)

Flagman 1,2,3... are set high by Flagman (M).

It then (using operate) sets Toggle to L. Normal is low/Toggle R (by operate). Flagman 2 is prevented to go high by condition (negate toggle L) until after the first count has passed- at which point, next increment will change state and then change toggle state, allowing 3 to follow on next (3rd) increment.

I did 15, because that would seem the most likely "maximum" number I need.

I take it this is about as clear as mud...that's because it's taken me since 3.20 pm (it's 10 pm) to get this to work...

Anyone needs this little crib, let me know. I can send it, it is a RR&Co 5.0 file.

James

(of course, I came up with the answer AFTER asking for help!)

Got it in one, programming, logic. a lot of things can be built up in RR&Co using this approach

Nice use of it though, not thought of doing keying, bell codes is it. Does not quite fit in with my set up but will have a look when I get chance.

Summer tends to be more outside sort of life for me, life's a beach is the best way to describe it. But I do venture into the railway room every now and then so will have a play.

Good one, keep playing. :)

It was _so_ like programming the OMRON PLC at Marine Institute- there are many _wrong_ ways, and one _right_ way, and the wrong ways are so close to the right way as to be annoying!.

(we did a traffic light, and what took me 14 lines in NQC (Lego Mindstorms) took all !@#$@# day in OMRON's PLC to get to work...)

Only reason for the daytime playing was because I was looking after the 2 month old, and there isn't that much I can do when I am teathered to upstairs. So, I had the instrument box, power supply, laptop & PR3 all on the kitchen table. I had to make one adjustment to the DS 54, other than that I had gotten it "right". Then, I started into what the actual sequence is supposed to be for a train passing Long Marton, and got as far as knowing that I need to count how many beats input I put in, and got stuck.

It didn't help doing outside stuff that it was raining here yesterday...we got a deck built at the community hall in the AM, then the older son had a birthday party to go to, and I got to play Dad with the younger one.

Today: Hot. Quite stinking hot. And the attic was VERY hot, even at 10 am, when I was crawling along in the blown in fiberglass to get to the junction box for the light that isn't there any more, to remove the wire...Done, now only a shorter list of things to do before calling for a electrical inspection. (rough in).

Siding has been started. Next: Electrical rough in needs finishing.

-see post in .signaling about the next question :) It's not a DCC question, so it belongs there.

James

Archived