Sidings near link between New Basford and Bulwell

On 02/05/2021 at 18:43, Andrea506 said:

Yes, there were 2 sets of sidings, on the Up side leaving New Basford there was the GC carriage shed and sidings, after passing Bagthorpe Junction towards Derby there was the GN carriage sidings.

Just to clarify, the GN sidings were on the down side. New Basford was my local station as a youngster. You'd only know it had ever been there now if you know what to look for and where.

You may be interested in the Basford North layout being built by Dibateg of this parish. A search should find it as posts can be a bit infrequent.

• Like 1

When I was little my dad used to take my brother and me to see the trains at New Basford Station, wonderful times. After the station closed in 1964 we went to Victoria instead, I think all the steam and smoke ignited my interest in railways. 

North of New Basford there was a road bridge, Perry Road, where you could see the GC carriage sheds and watch trains emerging from Sherwood Rise tunnel and slowly climb the gradient towards Bagthorpe Junction. I first learned about signalling there, to a 4 year old it was easy, the arm went up, a train is coming!

Edited by Andrea506
Poor spelling!
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Andrea506 said:

When I was little my dad used to take my brother and me to see the trains at New Basford Station, wonderful times. After the station closed in 1964 we went to Victoria instead, I think all the steam and smoke ingited my interest in railways. 

North of New Basford there was a road bridge, Perry Road, where you could see the GC carriage sheds and watch trains emerging from Sherwood Rise tunnel and slowly climb the gradient towards Bagthorpe Junction. I first learned about signalling there, to a 4 year old it was easy, the arm went up, a train is coming!

May well have seen you there at some point. Spent large amounts of the school holidays around New Basford and Perry Road.

• Like 1