Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Introducing "The Plait" - and a request for help.

Hello everyone,

If this post is in the wrong place, I apologise. Please suggest a better forum for this topic.

Let me introduce "The Plait". I was thinking about a small self-contained layouts that runs continuously: is it possible to build something which goes through itself like a plait, or a braided biscuit, or a pretzel. 

Here it is (video on Youtube) and there are pictures below.

Now here's the problem:  I don't have space to store it, and my model railway time is focussed on other things at the moment. Would anyone like to take what I have built and make somet hing scenic from it? 

It is built for N Gauge standard gauge stock, and uses Peco track (a mix of set track and flexitrack). The clearances are OK for British and German outline stock as you can see in the video, and suits short locos. I don't have any bogie wagons or coaches to test them but I suspect they might get stuck. Wiring is soldered to the track on three levels on each side. 

If you would like to continue this project, please get in touch. I'm not asking for any money, just that it goes to a good home.

EDIT: Dimensions (thanks or the reminder Keith)

* weight 3 kg. (6lb 10oz)

* height 18cm (7") to the highest rails 

* width 67 cm (just under 26.5") across at the widest point

* sharpest radius 22.8cm (9") - Peco Settrack.

Thanks

Justin

IMG_3691.JPG

IMG_2212.png

IMG_3690.JPG

Edited by princeofgonville
Added dimensions
  • Like 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Premium

Hi Justin, a ‘pizza’ layout with all the toppings!

It’s an interesting proposition with some very impressive woodwork on display!  Could I ask some questions which might help*:

1.  Could you give the overall dimensions of the layout (including height) to help anyone interested: both for transportation and storage.  A rough indication of the weight might also be useful if possible.

2.  Do you know what the minimum radius is?  (I’ll guess it might be the Setrack, but Peco do 4 different ones these days of course).

3.  Can the example train in the video manage the gradients in an anti-clockwise direction, or is it one way running (purely for interest for anyone thinking about designing scenery).

(* To avoid misunderstanding, I’m not in a position to express an interest personally - but it’d be interesting to see what someone with time and creativity could do).

Hope that’s OK, Keith.

• Like 1

Thankyou Keith, very useful feedback. I had forgotten that dimensions would be useful.

weight 3 kg. (6lb 10oz)

height 18cm (7") to the highest rails 

width 67 cm (just under 26.5") across at the widest point

Justin

• Informative/Useful 1