RMweb

Kit Building Assistance

Good Morning, apologies if there is a post along similar lines already, I am new here.

I am currently building my first ever loco kit, a Millholme Dreadnought and the body is going well, however the kit is devoid of many parts namely coupling rods and crankpins.

Can anyone suggest anything? I have been looking at Markits crankpins and return cranks as I have a suitable romford wheelset (I know of no others?) but I am puzzled has to how coupling rods would fit the LMS return crank, would I have to reem out the holes on the coupling rods or is there some magic way?

Any help is much appreciated, thank you. 

Hi Gibson makes coupling rods for a number of different wheelbases and also a set of 'Universal' rods that you can assemble to whatever wheelbase you need. I don't know how the Markits return crank works but it should be fitted to the driving crankpin after the coupling rod and connecting rod are already in place. Valve gear - you haven't picked an easy one for your first attempt, but if you start a thread in the kitbuilding section there are lots of people to give advice.

• RMweb Gold

I havent used Markits return cranks before but it appears they replace the crankpin on the drivers. You would need to ream out the hole on the couplin rods for a close fit. Use a 5 sided cutting broach and go very slowly. Too loose and it wont run properly. Too tight and it will bind. Looking on wiki, the Dreadnought had typical walschaerts valve gear. Several diagrams exist online to help show you how they go together. I personally recommend using Markits deluxe crankpins instead of the return crank and use Comet valve gear motion set possibly available from Wizard models. 

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, Rikki_Beth_85 said:

Many thanks for your help and tips, much appreciated and certainly some food for thought. I do like a challenge and a loco kit lacking valve gear certainly is a challenge but I am determined!

Here's some info on the valve gear variations, such as they were.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/L%26YR_Class_8

I'm guessing you don't want 10456 in revised form?

22 hours ago, kevinlms said:

Here's some info on the valve gear variations, such as they were.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/L%26YR_Class_8

I'm guessing you don't want 10456 in revised form?

ooh heck, I hadn't thought of that however as my model is lacking valve gear of any sort it may end up been somewhat 'bastardised' and not one for anyone who is a stickler for absolute 100% accuracy