The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Talk to somebody- a mental health news story on the bbc (with trains)!

Markwj

• RMweb Premium

I'm happy to talk but it invariably ends up annoying people, probably because what really upsets and depresses me is a lot of peoples' vision of a wonderful future and OK present. In my experience people only have sympathy up to the point where they broadly agree with someone's views - someone being in a situation that would get them down too.

• Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Reorte said:

I'm happy to talk but it invariably ends up annoying people, probably because what really upsets and depresses me is a lot of peoples' vision of a wonderful future and OK present. In my experience people only have sympathy up to the point where they broadly agree with someone's views - someone being in a situation that would get them down too.

I am sorry that has been your experience I have no great ideas but maybe a more formal group professional or voluntary would be more understanding/ appropriate if you feel it would be beneficial?

• RMweb Premium
9 minutes ago, Markwj said:

I am sorry that has been your experience I have no great ideas but maybe a more formal group professional or voluntary would be more understanding/ appropriate if you feel it would be beneficial?

The problem is that it's not my personal situation - I'm actually pretty happy about that, it's the way the wider world is (but still the part I move around in) that means a great deal to me and is only going to get worse.

Edited by Reorte

• RMweb Gold
8 hours ago, Markwj said:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/stories-57060971

An interesting read if you are struggling talk to someone please! With added freight class 90!

It's an interesting area and one with a massive range of differences between how Drivers react if they are involved in such an incident.  Sometimes it can leave mental scars, occasionally  with that irrational feeling of guilt, while others will simply shrug it off having rationalised that while unfortunate they just happened to be in the wrong place at the wrong time.  

From what I saw over the years in most cases the Driver's reaction has little or nothing to do with the sort of person you might perceive them and know them as and that is the most worrying aspect of all.  Fortunately BR, going back a very long time, was pretty good at dealing with Drivers who had been involved in such incidents and with those who suffered any continuing mental impact.  And in my experience even their colleagues with the greatest level of bravado could be very sympathetic - usually in helpful ways.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

That is interesting.

Two completely separate thoughts.

Firstly, the way my brain works I couldn’t do her job. I basically cannot maintain attention when bored. I need to be interested, and stimulated. Maintaining concentration in this situation would be virtually impossible. In a car / bike I can overtake, adjust speed, play with the gearbox, etc. Mostly unnecessary, but they are changes which stimulate me.

Secondly on mental health. How men and women communicate, form bonds, support each other, etc, is often different (how much is learnt behaviour is a separate issue). This doesn’t just affect mental health help, but reading instructions, accepting help for doing something (including asking for directions), etc. This will greatly affect their ability to be able to ask for, accept or process that help. It is difficult to seek help when that entails revealing weaknesses that your experience suggests is just giving others ammunition to attack you with. Successful suicide rates are a LOT higher for men

All the best

Katy

• Friendly/supportive 1