Comparing wagon bed heights.

• RMweb Gold

I’ve a separate thread concerning using an onboard spy camera, mounted on a wagon. But the load of the camera is slightly higher than normal loading gauge height, which causes me a problem below one batten of an upper board. So I’m wondering - would the bed of a lowmac or well wagon be sufficiently lower than, say, a standard flat bed?

has anyone got both types, ie either a lowmac or well wagon, and a standard flatbed, that they could measure the difference in height of the respective load sections? I tend to favour Bachmann so probably they would be most relevant.

thanks

Ian

The answer can be found here:

http://www.barrowmoremrg.co.uk/Prototype.html

From memory you should be able to gain about 5-6mm*. Scratchbuilding a suitable carrier wagon  should enable should enable you to almost reach rail level about 12mm below a normal wagon floor.

* Well wagons usually have substantial girders along the sides of the well.

The only well wagon* I have to hand is a Hornby Dublo WELTROL MV, which confirms my estimate of 6mm.

* I do have a couple of H0 Bachmann Great Northern Railway (US) 12 wheel well wagons, but these have a very high floor level, so are completely unsuitable.

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold

I did buy a Bachmann well wagon, and it provided the solution. The circular nature of the camera itself fitted nicely, supported by bluetac, into the well, at one end. The lens is sufficiently high enough for the ‘line of sight ‘ to clear the wagon platform. Thanks.