The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Problem saving a TIF as a jpeg - Windows 10

drjcontroller

• RMweb Premium

When I finish processing a TIF image in Photoshop, I always save it as a standard jpeg in order to upload it to Flickr.

Yesterday when I went to do this, as normal I clicked on "save as" in Flickr which brought up the screen giving the option of "Save as type" with a drop down menu from which I would have around 20-25 options, including jpeg. Unfortunately the drop down menu now only has 8 options and the only jpeg option is "jpeg 2000" so something has changed, though I don't know how to return this to what it was.

I've tried various on-line searches but am struggling to find the answer so am hoping that one of the experts on here might know?

I'm pretty useless with IT so please be gentle.

Douglas

• RMweb Gold

What are the other options it now gives you? Does it only do this for this one image, or for all? Try an image that you know works,  I.e. one you've already made a jpeg copy of.

• Thanks 1

Hi Douglas

Photoshop can be a nightmare sometimes specially if like me you only use it occasionally, you have probably done something that you normally don't and haven't noticed it.

I can load a Jpeg 2000 into Photoshop and convert to Jpeg as you normally do.

Jpeg 2000 is also called jp2.

My advice is to save to the desktop as jpeg 2000 using save as. (The original TIF will not be altered).

Close Photoshop.

Find file on Desktop (which may be .jpf). If the icon has a blue PS then click on it to open in Photoshop, if not then right click on it and select `open with` and scroll through the dropdown menu More Apps to find Photoshop

Photoshop will open, then try save as, Jpeg should then be there.

It worked for me.

You could also search google for a free converter.

Sorry it’s a bit long winded.

Bob

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
57 minutes ago, Nick C said:

What are the other options it now gives you? Does it only do this for this one image, or for all? Try an image that you know works,  I.e. one you've already made a jpeg copy of.

Nick, the options are; Photoshop, Large Document Format, Cineon, IFF format, JPEG2000, PNG, Portable Bit Map and TIFF.

It does it for every image I've tried.

• RMweb Premium
59 minutes ago, Dieselbob said:

Hi Douglas

Photoshop can be a nightmare sometimes specially if like me you only use it occasionally, you have probably done something that you normally don't and haven't noticed it.

I can load a Jpeg 2000 into Photoshop and convert to Jpeg as you normally do.

Jpeg 2000 is also called jp2.

My advice is to save to the desktop as jpeg 2000 using save as. (The original TIF will not be altered).

Close Photoshop.

Find file on Desktop (which may be .jpf). If the icon has a blue PS then click on it to open in Photoshop, if not then right click on it and select `open with` and scroll through the dropdown menu More Apps to find Photoshop

Photoshop will open, then try save as, Jpeg should then be there.

It worked for me.

You could also search google for a free converter.

Sorry it’s a bit long winded.

Bob

Bob,

Thanks for that, but it didn't work for me.

I have found another way, by "save a copy" in stead of "save as" I can now save it as an ordinary jpeg, then all I have to do is rename the file. Slightly more long winded than normal but it works. Still can't understand why the process has changed, but at least I have a solution.

Thanks again, and to Nick for your help.

Douglas